ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
deporting the guy to syria rather than canada was pretty stupid

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
I don't understand why canadians finds it bad that the US is affraid of people from these nations (maybe the measures are a bit extreme) but come on!!!!
Try to understand ...
oh well !!!

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: klah
Originally posted by: ElFenix
He had citizenship in Syria also.
Except his home was in Canada. It was f**king asinine thing to do.

So big deal, we did something dumb. It's not a reason to issue a frigging travel advisory!

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence

So big deal, we did something dumb. It's not a reason to issue a frigging travel advisory!

It is if you're trying to go from Windsor to Detroit and you might end up in Syria.

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999

Why exactly is that not enough of a reason to issue a travel advisory? I think the threat of having your citizens deported to places that aren't thier homes is a pretty serious issue. It would be irresponsible for the Canadian government not to warn its citizens of a possibility like that.

I guarantee you if say for example Britian decided to deport a dual US/Iraqi citizen who lived in the US to Iraq thier would be some freaking travel advisories issued. Whoever was responsible for that should be fired.

EDIT: Also remember that the Canadians have warships out in the Gulf of Oman boarding ships looking for Al Qaeda while Canadian troops fought and died side by side with Americans in Afghanistan, some at the hands of criminally negligant American pilots (an incident for which no senior American officials publicly apologized for for almost 48 hours). I think thier citizens deserve a little better than this sort of BS. We need all the friends we can get in this world, and this sort of BS and the attitudes that allow it to happen is not going to strengthen our position in the world.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: justint

Why exactly is that not enough of a reason to issue a travel advisory? I think the threat of having your citizens deported to places that aren't thier homes is a pretty serious issue. It would be irresponsible for the Canadian government not to warn its citizens of a possibility like that.

I guarantee you if say for example Britian decided to deport a dual US/Iraqi citizen who lived in the US to Iraq thier would be some freaking travel advisories issued. Whoever was responsible for that should be fired.

All I'm saying is that I believe it was a dumb mistake, not US immigration policy. If it is, I stand corrected. I agree, he should be fired and he probably was already.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
All I'm saying is that I believe it was a dumb mistake, not US immigration policy. If it is, I stand corrected. I agree, he should be fired and he probably was already.
It was a bit more than a dumb mistake. Arar's (the Syrian-born Canadian citizen) citizenship was ignored, he was deported to Syria (a country he has not lived in since high school), and Canadian authorities were not notified until after the fact. Arar has not been heard from since. The "suspicions" that caused the US to deport Arar were already looked into by Canadian authorities over a month ago, and it was determined that Arar had no ties to terrorists.

edit: source

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: justint

There is not near enough information given in that article about this case to call it a dumb action or mistake. We simply don't know.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: reitz
It was a bit more than a dumb mistake. Arar's (the Syrian-born Canadian citizen) citizenship was ignored, he was deported to Syria (a country he has not lived in since high school), and Canadian authorities were not notified until after the fact. Arar has not been heard from since. The "suspicions" that caused the US to deport Arar were already looked into by Canadian authorities over a month ago, and it was determined that Arar had no ties to terrorists.

edit: source

Why would the US deport a harmless guy to Syria just because he was born there if it wasn't a mistake? What would the motivation be? Just to piss off the canadians? I'm not trying to defend what they did, but I can see why the US would not be willing to trust another country's assurances that the guy is harmless, and would rather do their own homework. Who knows, maybe the guy really was involved in something? Maybe the US found something that the Canadians missed? I certainly don't know, but I don't think they would do something like that PURPOSELY if they had no reason to. Either it was a dumb mistake or they actually had a reason.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Why would the US deport a harmless guy to Syria just because he was born there if it wasn't a mistake? What would the motivation be? Just to piss off the canadians? I'm not trying to defend what they did, but I can see why the US would not be willing to trust another country's assurances that the guy is harmless, and would rather do their own homework. Who knows, maybe the guy really was involved in something? Maybe the US found something that the Canadians missed? I certainly don't know, but I don't think they would do something like that PURPOSELY if they had no reason to. Either it was a dumb mistake or they actually had a reason.
Yeah, but the second that guy gets out of syria Canada would welcome him right back anyway!

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
so? it's not a trade embargo or anything. oooh wow, canada is warning its middle eastern citizens to beware going into the US, for good reason. big deal.

Jan 31, 2002

Yeah, travel advisory like "Please refrain from visiting Britian until our bombing campaign has ceased." I'm sure that the decision certainly wasn't made by some racist KKK wannabe redneck who happened to score a three-digit income job as an airport bagmonkey and wanted to take out his inner rage on some poor guy who happened to fit a stereotype. </rant>

- M4H