mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
From the Windsor Star:
"Dead meat"
Warning to autoworkers: Save jobs, buy domestic

By Doug Williamson Star Staff Reporter

Friday, January 09, 2004

DOMESTIC OR DEAD MEAT: CAW Local 444 president Ken Lewenza talks about the new campaign to encourage the purchase of domestic automobiles.

Autoworkers who own imported vehicles are "dead meat," CAW Local 444 president Ken Lewenza said Thursday during a news conference outlining the union's campaign to promote the sales of domestically built vehicles.

"I think any autoworker that buys a car that takes food off their own table is being ridiculous," Lewenza said later.

While the union has no plans to harass ordinary consumers who buy foreign cars, it will exert pressure on local autoworkers and boycott area businesses that do not openly support the "buy domestic" campaign.

Billboards have already started to appear, and will point out that for every assembly job, 7.5 spinoff jobs are created. CAW Locals 200, 444 and 1973 representing Ford, DaimlerChrysler and General Motors workers in Windsor are paying for the 12-month, $200,000 campaign.

Mike Vince, president of Local 200, said the union will approach businesses in Windsor and Essex County to display, or use in advertising, a special logo. Anyone not agreeing will be subject to a union boycott, he said.

"If those people aren't going to support us, we're not going to support them," he said, adding that he expects most businesses to support the campaign.

Lewenza said a web page is being prepared that will offer consumers information on the CAW campaign, including which vehicles the union supports buying.

Basically, any vehicle with a Chrysler, Ford or GM nameplate is acceptable, Vince said. But vehicles owned by those companies and made overseas, such as Mercedes, Mazda, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo, are not, he said.

Toyota and Honda products are grudgingly accepted by the union because those companies have built assembly plants in Canada. But Nissan products are not, Vince said.

Vince, Lewenza and other union leaders said the CAW campaign is aimed at Windsor and Essex County residents whose prosperity depends largely on well-paid auto assembly jobs from employers who have a long history of building vehicles in this country.

Consumers need to be "educated" about the importance of buying so-called domestic cars, they said, but they stressed that ordinary consumers will not be harassed or ridiculed for driving foreign cars.

"Our union is not going to go out there and ridicule the consumer," Lewenza said.

CAW members are another story, said Lewenza, saying any autoworker driving a foreign car should be ashamed.

While recognizing there are unionized workers in the city who make parts for vehicles not supported in this campaign, Vince said they are in a minority.

Gary Parent, president of the Windsor and District Labour Council, said the campaign is not a self-serving attempt to preserve unionized jobs, warning that the economic prosperity of the entire region hinges on well-paying auto jobs.

Lewenza and Vince said at least two area Ford dealers have already agreed to support the campaign, but the union is not asking for support from the companies themselves.

"They have no loyalty to Canada," Lewenza said. "General Motors, Ford and Chrysler are not our partners, they are our employers."

One area dealer, Gus Revenberg, sells General Motors, Saturn and GM-owned vehicles by Isuzu and Saab, as well as Volkswagen, Infiniti and Nissan.

Revenberg said he had mixed feelings about the campaign, particularly since his GM product sales dropped 23 per cent last year while Nissan sales rose 30 per cent.

"On the Nissan side, all the products are new. It's new and it's very different from what the other manufacturers are doing."

He said 50 of his 180 employees are involved in selling Nissan, VW, Saab and Isuzu vehicles, and said many foreign products have new styling compared to many domestic ones.

ANOTHER VIEW

Auto analyst Dennis DesRosiers asks why the CAW is trying to punish the Big 3 and autoparts makers with its newly announced ?buy domestic' policy. His letter to the editor is on A9

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I forgot to add my worthless opinion...

I think its wrong for the CAW's to tell their union members to buy domestic. The people should buy the car that is best for them.

Also, there are talks of them having seperate parking lots for Domestic and Foreign cars at the plants.

Also I should add that this is fairly significant (the contents of the article) since there are MANY auto plants in Ontario. There are plants from Honda, Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Toyota.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Unions can suck it. And if the autoworkers aren't buying their own products out of pride for their workmanship, I'd be a little hesitant to buy one as well.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
Unions can suck it. And if the autoworkers aren't buying their own products out of pride for their workmanship, I'd be a little hesitant to buy one as well.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
a great deal of my home town is employed by toyota, they give people here jobs too.

however, my mom was a CAW worker for 28 years and only bought domestic cars.. her plant closed and she became unemployed at the age of 50. she went from making 34/hour to 12/hour.
its very sad, she can't get a good job now because no company will invest in someone her age.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: eakers
a great deal of my home town is employed by toyota, they give people here jobs too.

however, my mom was a CAW worker for 28 years and only bought domestic cars.. her plant closed and she became unemployed at the age of 50. she went from making 34/hour to 12/hour.
its very sad, she can't get a good job now because no company will invest in someone her age.

can't she apply to the Toyota Cambridge's plant?

I mean she as experience in the field, so it shouldn't be to bad?

Alternatively, you mom should enjoy! Screw work! Retirement baby! Doesn't CAW give out awesome pensions?

Also wat exactly did your mom do in the automotive field? What kinda car did she build?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Warning to Unions: Build quality and accept lower wages or become victims of free captialist consumers who reject your over-priced, low quality products.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
People bitch about domestic cars as having poor quality. I don't agree with this myself, however union workers shouldn't be held responsible for everything. Management and engineering should be to blame also. People always use the union worker as the scapegoat.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I understand their sentiment, but it sounds like they are going way overboard.