Canada to USA - DRIVING

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Hey I am itching for a crazy idea to drive down to florida on thursday with my girlfriend and spend march break there. Do I need a passport to cross the border or is that just if your flying in? Normally all you need is your canadian citizenship card.

Anyone know for sure?

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Right now it's just ID + proof of citizenship (I got by with my voter registration card and a drivers license because my birth certificate was being sent to DC to get a passport), but I'd recommend getting a passport if you plan to do any Can-US travel in the near future. They've postponed the driving date already, but it won't be long.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
I got my drivers license, health card, and my canadian citizenship card. I got into the states before no problem with my citizenship card. Should be fine then if they havent passed the passport law yet. Plus Im white, you know how dem honks dooo Mmm yeee

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Anyone know any good places to stay in florida particularly Key West? All I really need is a bed to sleep on, so the cheapest would be best.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Homeless shelters are free.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
You will spend more time driving than on vacation. The keys is a 6 hour drive from my place and I'm an hour from Orlando.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, you are a bit insane, actually. Have you looked at hotel rates yet? Most things are darn near sold out due to spring break. At least you are driving, because good luck finding a damn flight anywhere near MIA, FLL, MCO, PBI, or Key West. You bastard Spring Breakers are gumming up the works for the rest of us. :p

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Mill
Well, you are a bit insane, actually. Have you looked at hotel rates yet? Most things are darn near sold out due to spring break. At least you are driving, because good luck finding a damn flight anywhere near MIA, FLL, MCO, PBI, or Key West. You bastard Spring Breakers are gumming up the works for the rest of us. :p

Milly vanilly are you in FL again? We need to grab a beer.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: PAB

I was in Orlando this weekend because my brother's wife just had a baby.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: PAB

I was in Orlando this weekend because my brother's wife just had a baby.

I wasnt doing anything and you didnt call?

I hate you!

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Ya I am reconsidering my trip idea now. Was looking into some bed and breakfast inn's and places, and it's like 150 bucks minimum for a bed. Might sit this one out, not sure yet.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DVad3r
Ya I am reconsidering my trip idea now. Was looking into some bed and breakfast inn's and places, and it's like 150 bucks minimum for a bed. Might sit this one out, not sure yet.

Motels are a lot cheaper. So's camping.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
It takes 15 hours to drive from Pittsburgh to Orlando. And if Orlando is 6 hours from the Keys and you're in Canada, I can see you spending upwards of 27-30 hours in transit. Good luck driving. :)

Edit: It's actually 15 from PGH to Orlando. My bad. It seemed a lot longer when we last made the trip.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
It takes 22 hours to drive from Pittsburgh to Orlando. And if Orlando is 6 hours from the Keys and you're in Canada, I can see you spending upwards of 35 hours in transit. Good luck driving. :)

I believe in 1992 my dad made it from orlando to toronto in 1 24 driving shot. Not sure how it is now, more traffic I take it? And how are motels cheaper? They are like 150 bucks or more at key west. Got any links or sites?

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
It takes 22 hours to drive from Pittsburgh to Orlando. And if Orlando is 6 hours from the Keys and you're in Canada, I can see you spending upwards of 35 hours in transit. Good luck driving. :)

I believe in 1992 my dad made it from orlando to toronto in 1 24 driving shot. Not sure how it is now, more traffic I take it? And how are motels cheaper? They are like 150 bucks or more at key west. Got any links or sites?

See my edit.

And you won't find any lodging cheap in Florida for a good month.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Well, I'd suggest not to stay on the keys themselves. When I visited there, I stayed with a friend in Miami, and it was an easy day trip to the Keys.