Canada robbed in Pairs Figure skating?

arigato

Sep 19, 2001
Ok, I'm guessing not too many people are watching figure skating here but they really did get robbed. They skated a flawless performance and still got second while the Russian pair made mistakes and won the gold. :disgust:

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I was watching it while I was working. Sure looks like they got jobbed to me. Their routine was perfect. According to the announcers the Russian routine had a SLIGHTLY greater degree of difficulty, but they had several bobbles. Yet another example of the problems with sports that are based on subjective winners.

arigato

Sep 19, 2001
oops, guess this was already posted. Searched for Canada and didn't get any results, sorry.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
It's funny, before the games nobody here gave a crap about Figure Skating. Now, everybody is all riled up on it, they talk about it, they analyze their performance, they talk about the judges... And the talk about how hot that canadian chick looks like :D.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
There are judges in this world that cheat? :Q Someone better tell Don King just in case one of the fights he promotes is misjudged or something. :)

Fangorn

Feb 27, 2001
Of course we were robbed! Then poor Elvis Stojko stumbles a bit on his program last night, just like the Russian guy from the pair skate that won the gold medal, and Elvis ends up in SEVENTH after his short program. WTF????

BTW, Jaime Sale is like 4 feet no inches...I saw her at my boss' country club at lunch a few weeks ago here in Edmonton where she is training...

Jason Clark

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hope they take the responsibility out of the countries hands in selecting judges and find a way to improve the process. Canada won the gold, plain and simple. The olympics used to be something fun to watch, but there are so many problems in how it's judged it's not really worth watching any more. That's the problem with sports where it's not as simple as x ran it in 5 seconds y ran it in 9, x wins.

Ah well.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
If they were awarding medals in the Olympics for whinning the Canadians would have a lock on the Gold. They should make Figure Prancing an exhibition sport and give medals to the real sporting events like the Downhill, Ski Jumping and Bobsledding.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

<< If they were awarding medals in the Olympics for whinning the Canadians would have a lock on the Gold. They should make Figure Prancing an exhibition sport and give medals to the real sporting events like the Downhill, Ski Jumping and Bobsledding. >>

Hey don't point fingers so fast. Remember the last summer olympics when the Canadian won 100 m sprint, and the american won 200m, and pathetically the americans decided in great part to decree that 200 m was now the speed king race, and no longer 100 m? That was just sad. Really sad and lame. Then just for no good reason they were going to have a 150 m race, but the American guy pussed out at the end!

Arschloch

Golden Member
Oct 29, 1999

<<

<< If they were awarding medals in the Olympics for whinning the Canadians would have a lock on the Gold. They should make Figure Prancing an exhibition sport and give medals to the real sporting events like the Downhill, Ski Jumping and Bobsledding. >>

Hey don't point fingers so fast. Remember the last summer olympics when the Canadian won 100 m sprint, and the american won 200m, and pathetically the americans decided in great part to decree that 200 m was now the speed king race, and no longer 100 m? That was just sad. Really sad and lame. Then just for no good reason they were going to have a 150 m race, but the American guy pussed out at the end!
>>

He didn't puss out. THey ran the race, but the American guy (supposedly) came up lame with a leg injury during the race. Of course, he had already fallen behind by the time he hurt himself, so whether or not he was really hurt is your call.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I heard on the radio that the French judge has been accused of striking a deal with the Russians.

I don't know how much of this is true, but here is the link.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Skoorb, your point? I don't recall anybody whining that they were jobbed over that(most definately not the whole nation of the USA). In fact I don't recall people saying much at all about it except "Who was that Canadian?"

There weas a thread earlier in this forum where some sniveling little puke was calling for a boycott because the medal was awarded to the Russians instead of his countries Figure Prancers. I have a bertter idea, let's just get rid of "Figure Prancing" Sure the Rudy Galindezes of the World along with a few Canadians might be put in a tizzy over it but at least we won't have to listen to Dick Button and Scott Hamilton lisp their commentaries anymore.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

<< He didn't puss out. THey ran the race, but the American guy (supposedly) came up lame with a leg injury during the race. Of course, he had already fallen behind by the time he hurt himself, so whether or not he was really hurt is your call. >>

It was stupid in the first place even though the Canadian was winning it :) Poor sportsmanship is losing and then saying the race stank anyway, which is what the US did when they lost the 100 m, which has always been considered the speed king.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The US's beloved runner whined, for one.

Anyway this is all beside the point. Two major polls have shown that 90%+ of people feel the Canadians were ripped off. There is an inquiry into it. There is rumor that the France judge deliberely did it as a deal with the Russians.

You don't really expect anybody to believe that if this happened to an American team that nobody would cry foul.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< You don't really expect anybody to believe that if this happened to an American team that nobody would cry foul. >>

Hard to say. Our Figure Prancers suck so I doubt that we'd ever be in that position. But if we were and some whiney idiots were posting about it I'd tell them to STFU too, especially if they were embarrassing the USA as a whole like some of the Canadians snivelers are embarrassimg their fellow countymen. Hell the Guy who you feel was robbed didn't even whine half as much as the Sniveling Canucks here at ATOT and in Salt lake.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Of course he didn't. It would be seen as unprofessional, just as bush can't say he hates "rag-heads" even if he does. We can because it doesn't matter on AT.

They should have gotten gold. They didn't. If you want to call that whining you're free to do so.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
It's not whining because it's a legitimate complaint. Cheating/tampering of some sort is suspected, and a LOT of people think the results were biased in some way.

Do you consider it whining when you return your defective 75GXP? Or what about when someone steals something from you. Do you "whine" to the police, or do you file a complaint and hope they catch the guy and get your stuff back?

If the Russians had legitimately won, and people were just saying that the Canadians should have won "just 'cause", then that'd be whining.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hehe, one of my profs was bitching about this today :)
I've talked to other people who watched it and they all agree it was a flawless performance and they definitely deserve to beat the russians. But oh well, what can you do.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< Do you consider it whining when you return your defective 75GXP? Or what about when someone steals something from you. Do you "whine" to the police, or do you file a complaint and hope they catch the guy and get your stuff back? >>

So tell me Dudley Dooright, what was stolen from you ehh?

<< But oh well, what can you do. >>

Throw a hissy fit that Harvey Silverstien would be proud of... well that's what the Canadians are doing.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Red you aren't even trying. I think you can do better than this. I care for figure skating just as little as you do. I'd rather bleed than watch it on tv, but I still know that something went seriously awry and should be done about it. There is nothing whiney about that.

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000

<< Do you consider it whining when you return your defective 75GXP? Or what about when someone steals something from you. Do you "whine" to the police, or do you file a complaint and hope they catch the guy and get your stuff back? >>

<< So tell me Dudley Dooright, what was stolen from you ehh? >>

Both witty and insightful!