Canada offers qualifed support for the US.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
Thats funny because I talked to a guy a hour from Toronto on the phone yesterday. He is ashamed of people like you. His word were "brutal undeserving morons." His words not mine.

I spoke to a guy in Toronto who said this guy was a moron. Then another guy from Vancouver confirmed it. That's 2 guys...
rolleye.gif

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SickBeast
If you mean get the French Separtists out I hope so. Right now the Quebec gov't is so interested in creating new separtists they will forgive a large percentage of your student loans if you have a baby within 5 years of graduating university IF say the Liberals get in and survive a couple of election cycles, the pure French population will continue to dilute to the point in a decade or two it won't be an issue. Then we have to work on the next growing problem of settling Nativie land claim issues. Treaty Indians get a lot up here and are a growing population base. BTW a lot of Canadians are fighting in the US armed forces Treaty Indians have dual citizenship no matter where they are born and dozens have enlisted in the US military and are over there fighting.
No, I mean that anyone who lives here in Canada should LEAVE if they hate it here so much. I'm sick of all the whining. And your point about the baby money thing is retarded, I don't even see a point in rebutting it. You sound very ignorant, talking about natives and French Canadians as though they're second-class citizens. Grow up.
Chip on your shoulder there feeling a little heavy? desy's correct on the issue of inducements by Quebec governments in order to fight the "dilution" of French-Canadians. This is just their latest take on the issue; their track record is pathetic.

In a population engineering effort unprecedented in North America, the Quebec government in 1988 implemented three programs to boost fertility: allowances for newborns that, after amendments, paid women C$500 for a first birth, C$1,000 for a second, and C$8,000 for a third and each subsequent birth (one Canadian dollar equals 63 U.S. cents); a family allowance for all children under 18 years; and an additional allowance for children under age 6.

In 1997 Quebec switched its approach to strengthening families. It created the Ministry of Family and Children's Services and gave it a budget of C$500 million. In terms of the universal C$5-a-day day-care program, there are not enough regulated day-care spaces to keep up with demand. Consequently, Quebec day-care centers now have long waiting lists and one of the highest ratios of children to day-care workers in Canada.

From: Quebec's Alternative to Pronatalism by Catherine Krull, professor of sociology at Queens University.

Who's treating who like second class citizens again?
rolleye.gif

Edit: A 4-letter word for thrusting sharp metal objects forced me to edit and then reformat my post. Oy.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Spicedaddy
Thats funny because I talked to a guy a hour from Toronto on the phone yesterday. He is ashamed of people like you. His word were "brutal undeserving morons." His words not mine.

I spoke to a guy in Toronto who said this guy was a moron. Then another guy from Vancouver confirmed it. That's 2 guys...
rolleye.gif

hehe, you guys could carry on forever this way.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
I've read this thread in its entirety, and there a lot of people who really don't know what they're talking about. Many of you fail to realize the big picture with regards to this war and American foreign policy.

I am a British and Canadian citizen. I was born in England, and became a Canadian citizen in 1994. I currently live in Canada.

I am for the war.

Now, instead of simply degenerating the argument for war into cries of, ?They want the oil!? etc., think about the big picture, and try to open your minds a little.

September 11, 2001 was the day the world changed. Why? Because that is the day American foreign policy changed forever. To those of us who don?t live in America, please attempt to comprehend the gravity of that day and the days that followed.

The terrorist attacks on American soil were not just an attack on America itself, but they were an attack on our way of life. Those acts were an attack on Western ideals and civilization and everything that encompasses that culture. Canada is a part of that culture.

America is waging war with Iraq not for oil, weapons of mass destruction, or UN resolution infractions, or even for human rights. America is at war with Iraq because they are one part of the terrorist network. This war isn?t specifically about Iraq, or even Saddam. It is about stopping terrorism before it starts. America and her Western allies will attempt to snuff out terrorism wherever they deem it likely to exist. They will do this until it no longer threatens our way of life.

Afghanistan was the first step, Iraq is the second, and there will be a third, a fourth, a fifth?

On the surface, the war in Iraq is focused on a specific regime. The big picture reveals a different story. The Middle East is a problem. A big problem. This war is about stopping terrorism and bringing stability to a region in desperate need of it.

In this day it?s a sad fact that a peaceful nation like America must take aggressive steps to protect its way ? and our way ? of life.

I am for this war, and I believe Canada has a duty to involve itself. Those men and women are fighting for my freedom and safety and my government refuses to pledge support.

We live in a different world now people.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

rolleye.gif

No because mine was fvcking true. He is just being an ass because he knows it is TRUE!

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: sandorski

rolleye.gif

No because mine was fvcking true. He is just being an ass because he knows it is TRUE!

LOL :D I just spoke to the third guy (from Edmonton), and he says it's not true. :p

Ardan

Mar 9, 2003
I'm on a break from a class I am in, so I can only say so much at the moment. I wanted to mention that people have tried to assassinate Saddam Hussein and his sons. Uday Hussein was nearly assassinated and was crippled because of it. We passed a law that prevents us from assassinating another head of state. If you want the whole name of it, go look it up. THAT is why they haven't assassinated him, and there's a lot more than Saddam Hussein to diffusing the problem militarily. The Ba'ath party and the inner circle has to be removed as well as the leaders that filter down from there. Assassinating a handful of people would not solve it. There is no 'magic bullet' to speak of. I am American and i'd like to remind other Americans as well as the world that WE put him there and WE supported him during the Iran-Iraq war. French companies supplied biological samples to him as well as American companies. His weapons are comprised of Russian, Chinese, and French weapons. The chinese built their fiber optic air defense network. They have debts to pay to these countries as well. Remember this.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ardan
I'm on a break from a class I am in, so I can only say so much at the moment. I wanted to mention that people have tried to assassinate Saddam Hussein and his sons. Uday Hussein was nearly assassinated and was crippled because of it. We passed a law that prevents us from assassinating another head of state. If you want the whole name of it, go look it up. THAT is why they haven't assassinated him, and there's a lot more than Saddam Hussein to diffusing the problem militarily. The Ba'ath party and the inner circle has to be removed as well as the leaders that filter down from there. Assassinating a handful of people would not solve it. There is no 'magic bullet' to speak of. I am American and i'd like to remind other Americans as well as the world that WE put him there and WE supported him during the Iran-Iraq war. French companies supplied biological samples to him as well as American companies. His weapons are comprised of Russian, Chinese, and French weapons. The chinese built their fiber optic air defense network. They have debts to pay to these countries as well. Remember this.

The US supported Iraq in the Iran/Iraq war.

The US did not put Saddam in power as far as I can find any reference to on the web. The US did support the Ba'ath party of which Saddam was a member in their first coup. I have not found a reference to the US supporting the Ba'ath party in their second rise to power. A small point perhaps but a point to be made because so many people keep repeating that the US put Saddam in power when the facts do not seem to support that statement.

VFAA

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2001
I AM CANADIAN and I say fvck Iraq!

I'm p!ssed that we're not helping Americans, but I hope Chretien pulls his head out of his @ss and joins the Coalition Forces...

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
>I'm p!ssed that we're not helping Americans, but I hope Chretien pulls his head out of his @ss and joins the Coalition Forces...

We didn't need to send troops, we didn't need to send money, we didn't need to go to the U.N. all the U.S. wanted is for the PM to stand in the house and say "yes we support the Americans" and that's it and the BASTARD could not even do that. We need a regime change in Canada.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Thats funny because I talked to a guy a hour from Toronto on the phone yesterday. He is ashamed of people like you. His word were "brutal undeserving morons." His words not mine. Funny that you suggest people who disagree with you to move out of the country. People here do it and they are flamed by canadians and Anti-War folks.v The hypocrisy is downright stunning.
In all this anti-war talk, I have yet to see you make a cogent point. All you can do is reiterate what somes says or throw out a bunch of half-truths mingled with insults. I thought "serious" debate was needed here.

I insulted someone who said something insulting, racist, and ignorant about my people. Sue me.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: brigden
America is waging war with Iraq not for oil, weapons of mass destruction, or UN resolution infractions, or even for human rights. America is at war with Iraq because they are one part of the terrorist network. This war isn?t specifically about Iraq, or even Saddam. It is about stopping terrorism before it starts. America and her Western allies will attempt to snuff out terrorism wherever they deem it likely to exist. They will do this until it no longer threatens our way of life.
This is exactly what I think. However, I think it's unfortunate we couldn't get the world to see something so important. I don't think war is the only solution, although war is a very direct and fairly concrete solution capable of being accomplished by one entity. Besides war, I believe the only way we can beat this is if we get the whole world to agree, which did not happen.

Saltin

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
This war isn?t specifically about Iraq, or even Saddam. It is about stopping terrorism before it starts. America and her Western allies will attempt to snuff out terrorism wherever they deem it likely to exist. They will do this until it no longer threatens our way of life.

While I agree that this "war" is more of a battle in the larger war on terrorism, I have to disagree with the methodology America is employing.

Firstly, I don't think terrorism will ever be erradicated. It's slippery and sneaky and will always survive.
I think people need to think about *why* there are terrorists in the first place. Why have the struck out against America? Why do they threaten our way of life?

They have a beef, obviously?

Did anyone ever stop to think about what that might be? And did anyone stop to think that this "war" could possibly aggrivate the situation further?
The history of US/Middle East relations is long and compicated. I'm by no means anti-american. I love the ideals the country stands for and the freedom it provides. I will say this however. The US's hands are not clean in regards to the Middle East and its actions there. Who hold's the responsibility of acting in a reasonable and peaceful manner? The worlds largest superpower, or a bunch of terrorists/dictators?

The answer seems clear to me

I'm all for wiping out Sadaam b/c by all accounts, he's an evil bastard and represses his people.

But guess what? China does that too, and no one is taking the "good" fight to them.................