Canada getting UAV's from Germany to watch over 1,800 troops heading to Afghanistan.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
OTTAWA -- The military will be forced to borrow unmanned German spy planes to provide cover for the 1,800 Canadian ground troops heading to Afghanistan later this month, The Ottawa Sun reported yesterday.

The Canadian Forces expect to award a lucrative contract for four unmanned aerial vehicles - known in military circles as drones - and two ground control stations by month's end, The Sun said.

Col. Bob Gunn, the Forces' director of land requirements, said the military doesn't expect to take delivery until October at the earliest. He said that's how long it will take for the successful bidder to build the mid-range drones, so Canada has asked the German military to leave their drones in Kabul until at least October.

Gunn said the military hopes to receive the four UAVs in time for the October annual meeting of Afghan elders to be held in Canada's area of responsibility in Kabul. The drones will use the latest technology to conduct video surveillance of the streets in the Canadian zone of Kabul.

Text

mboy

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2001
I can't believe Canada is sending their entire military over there!

Warin

Sep 6, 2001
I love it :)

The Canadian government doesnt spend money on the military, we get slammed. They do spend some money and get some cool new kit, and we still get slammed!

I think this contract should have been sorted out some months back when we took on the peace keeping role in Afghanistan, rather than waiting some six months to do it. If they had just taken care of the procurement sooner, we wouldnt have to ask the Germans to help us out.

Yeah, our military is in a sorry state....