Canada, along with Coke and Pepsi, make right decision

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: glugglug
The caffeine in the pepsi will more than counteract 11.14 pounds per year.

38 MG of caffeine in a pepsi. So based on a 2,500 calorie daily diet, this represents 6% of the days calories.

The best number I can find is drinking 3 cups of green tea per day represents 80 extra calories burned (3.2%). The average caffeine in green tea is aout 26MG per cup. So this represents 78 MG caffeine consumed.

38/78 = 49% * 80 Calories = 39 calories, or 1.6% of the days calories

So at best, that Pepsi is burning 39 of it's 150 calories from caffeine. And how many kids do you know that drink only one soda per day?

If anyone can find better data/studies on caffeine burn rate than this please post.

Sometimes I think I could spend all day disproving dumb comments on this board.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
Originally posted by: glugglug
The caffeine in the pepsi will more than counteract 11.14 pounds per year.

38 MG of caffeine in a pepsi. So based on a 2,500 calorie daily diet, this represents 6% of the days calories.

The best number I can find is drinking 3 cups of green tea per day represents 80 extra calories burned (3.2%). The average caffeine in green tea is aout 26MG per cup. So this represents 78 MG caffeine consumed.

38/78 = 49% * 80 Calories = 39 calories, or 1.6% of the days calories

So at best, that Pepsi is burning 39 of it's 150 calories from caffeine. And how many kids do you know that drink only one soda per day?

If anyone can find better data/studies on caffeine burn rate than this please post.

Sometimes I think I could spend all day disproving dumb comments on this board.
One hole in your logic...unless you're assuming these kids are drinking soda instead of water, it's not a net 150 calories...

Just to throw a couple random drinks out there, Sunny Delight has 120 calories per serving, apple juice has 117...

I'm not sure what my point is but who knows...I'm just one of the guys on this board making dumb comments :(

Feb 3, 2001
Willingly giving up the opportunity to legally make money, causing eps and share price to plummet, if direct causation can be shown, would certainly be grounds for a lawsuit.

They aren't giving up the opportunity to make a profit. Who do you think will be the vendors of those water and fruit juice beverages? Coke and Pepsi, both of whom have successful lines of (filtered, not spring) water and fruit juices. They'll still make the profit, just from a different set of their own products.

You see? You CAN have profit AND ethical decision making all rolled up into a single package! :)

Jason

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
But when you have 5-10 year olds running around with an extra 50-60 pounds, clearly they are not rational, autonomous agents of their domain.
Does that mean the same thing in adults? I'd say yes ;)
Sunny Delight has 120 calories per serving, apple juice has 117
That's true, although in the case of sunny delight I'm sure that it's no better for a person than a coke and a vitamin c pill. That stuff is total junk and I pity the person watching their kid suck that piss down by the cup as if they're drinking something healthy.

Anyway, adults vs. children who cares exactly where the line of responsibility kicks in, because I can tell you that it's well past the age of 5. A five year old can't be taught the benefits of healthy eating and realistically expected, in most cases, to follow through with that (obviously many adults can't either, but I've never met a single kid who could). I've got a friend who feeds his 6 year old son a diet almost entirely consisting of processed cheese, weiners, and bread. The kid's ADD aside, this kid is just eating what he likes and the parents, for some bloody reason, think that this is ok because he refuses to eat healthy food (BTW the kid is a little fatty, so he's not starving to death). I'm sure they've told him that his food preferances are not healthy, but he doesn't give a damn. I didn't either actually care about the long-term consequences of what I was doing to my body until I got to around 20 years old and it finally clicked in my head that I'm mortal and actions have consequences.

Kids shouldn't be drinking soda drinks except in ocassional circumstances for a treat.