Can you upgrade a K133 chipset to a K133A?

eyez

Dec 11, 2000
Seems like the layout of my KT7-R is identical to that of the KT7A-R. Anyone try to change out the chipsets? Shouldn't be that technically difficult.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I asked this a while back. Responses I got were that if you're real good with a soldering iron, and wouldn't mind if your mobo went kaput, then go for it. :)

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
I see many huge problems with doing this
1.where would you get the northbrige alone??
2.how would you remoove the old one without destroying your mobo
3.how would you solder the pins of the new northbrige to the mobo without the proper expensive machines they use when making the mobo.

Vyle

Feb 8, 2001

<< Nothing's impossible, just highly improbable. >>

I was going to say that's ridiculous. Fitting a Camel through the eye of a needle is impossible. But I suppose if you were to liquefy the camel and use a very, very small eyedropper...

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It's possible yes, but not at all 'easy'. First you would have to get the new northbridge and remove the old one without killing your motherboard. Then you would have to solder in the new northbridge and reconnect all of the traces on all of the PCB layers.
And I'm almost certain there are probably other difficulties that I'm not aware of, not to mention the BIOS would have to also be specifically updated to handle this &quot;conversion&quot;.

So I'd have to say yes is IS that technically difficult, and not at all something likely to happen.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
simple &quot;no&quot; from me..
but a reason for that &quot;no&quot;.. ;)
Okay.. how do we know that the newer 133a northbridge has traces that all go to the same things? We can only assume.. I'm not a chip designer so I definately don't know.. but my guess would be that they aren't the same.. and even if they were.. I'm guessing that the circiutry on the board is probably a little different too..

mikef208

Banned
Nov 30, 2000
Not to get off topic, but I think Vyle is at home right now looking in the FS/FT forum for a camel, needle, and an eyedropper.

JK

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001

<< Fitting a Camel through the eye of a needle is impossible >>

not if it's a very big needle &amp; a very small camel! :D

more to the point, just get a new motherboard with the K133A chipset!