Can you taste the diff between Pepper jack and Habanero jack cheeses?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I imagine even if you can't taste the difference, there is a difference in heat.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It shouldn't taste different, but the habanero should have a bit more heat, and I mean a bit. You can only get so much heat from a few scraps of pepper. I'm not a fan of pepper jack. Both the cheese and the peppers are too mild.

edit:
Thinking about it, someone should make a Jack The Reaper cheese with Carolina Reapers. You might actually notice the extra heat, and it's a catchy name.

Last edited:
Reactions: uclaLabrat

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No. :cool:

*(ALL cheese tastes like congealed sour milk to me) ;)

It shouldn't taste different

Different peppers do have different flavors as well as different levels of heat. To me Habanero has a very different flavor then Jalapeno for example, but I doubt you would be able to tell much difference with the tiny quantity mixed into cheese.

My personal favorite flavor-wise is the Scorpion-Pepper. :)

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Generally speaking, yes.
However, I'm not sure I've personally sampled the ones in the pic, but I don't know that the cheapest pre-sliced cheese at Walmart is a great barometer of flavor.

Reactions: dank69

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you can't, then it's garbage. Habanero has a very distinct flavor that is difficult to miss. It should be obvious, even if it isn't as hot as it should be.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Walmart's house brand is pretty uniformly bad. It's like a time warp back to the 70s when store brands were all shit. Kind of spoiled in recent years. "house" brands have seen a big uptick in quality, and some, like Wegmans exceed national brands.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I Imagine that Walmart probably has about 3 "base" cheeses that they just put different things in to make them taste like whatever label is on the packaging.

I wouldn't be too surprised to find out Walmart actually has only one base protein used in every processed meat/dairy product they sell with different artificial flavors.

o_O

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I've eaten a bunch of pepper jack in my lifetime. I would think jalapeno vs habeneros....you'd see green vs orange. I think about some of those and how the jalapeno skin causes specific textures that I wouldn't expect with habeneros...

I may have to venture to Walmart.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No. :cool:

*(ALL cheese tastes like congealed sour milk to me) ;)

Different peppers do have different flavors as well as different levels of heat. To me Habanero has a very different flavor then Jalapeno for example, but I doubt you would be able to tell much difference with the tiny quantity mixed into cheese.

My personal favorite flavor-wise is the Scorpion-Pepper. :)
I have to agree with the scorpion pepper cheese.