Can you see flicker at 60Hz?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Your boss is full of crap. The "refresh rate" of the human eye is closer to 60Hz than anything else, I think. Your brain just does a bunch of adaptive filtering effects that merge the images. Even if said rate was 24Hz you'd still be able to discern the difference between 60Hz and 75Hz because of the way the math works out. At 24Hz visual refresh rate you'll get images of the screen redrawing itself pretty much every time at 60Hz, whereas at 75Hz, 85Hz etc. you'll get different stages of redraw.

Anyway, if your boss doubts the human eye refresh rate set a monitor to 60Hz (can't be LCD though) hold out your hand straight with the fingers separated and wave it back and forth in front of the screen. Then ask him why the hell that looked like stop-motion.

I can hear TVs whine. I can hear car doors slam from a block away via the low bass noises that come from them. I can also smell when someone has sneezed. Apparantly most people can't do any of that. It's not your boss' fault: he's just inferior. :p

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
60 Hz, bothers me instantly. 85 Hz, I can tolerate for extended amounts of time; 100+ Hz, I can't see any flicker at all.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm very sensitive to flicker. I can see it at 60hz easily and it makes me sick to my stomach. I can see it at 72hz as well.

I can hear when anything like a TV (no volume) or a monitor is on.

MrGreen063

Sep 11, 2021
This made me laugh, studies show the human eye can perceive LED flickers up to about 90hz before becoming undetectable. I was looking at how often people are sensitive to this stuff and came across MANY of these misconceptions. I can perceive around 80hz myself and can hear electrical frequencies as well, I know when any electric device is turned on or running and can often determine which device as long as I'm familiar enough with the environments sounds.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
shit-necro-thats.jpg