Can you recycle altoids tins?

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Well can you? It seems like it'd be reuseable, and it's not like metal is going to magically decompose in a landfill...

edit: and by 'metal', I mean something that is entirely metal... you know, like soda cans.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Sure. I generally keep my altoids tins, as they're good little boxes, but you could certainly throw them in the recycling bin.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
My local recycling center has a large dumpster for "scrap metal." The Altoids containers are probably some kind of steel, maybe plated with another metal to prevent corrosion. They may well go in the same bins as metal food cans.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
My local recycling center has a large dumpster for "scrap metal." The Altoids containers are probably some kind of steel, maybe plated with another metal to prevent corrosion. They may well go in the same bins as metal food cans.

From the feel of it, I'm pretty sure they're just brushed aluminum.

elektrolokomotive

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
Originally posted by: So

I just stuck a magnet to one, so I'm thinking they are steel.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Sure. I generally keep my altoids tins, as they're good little boxes, but you could certainly throw them in the recycling bin.

Yeah I keep some of mine too... but there's a limit to how many tins I can use, lol. (I eat a lot of altoids... wonderful candies.)

-Eric

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: elektrolokomotive

I just stuck a magnet to one, so I'm thinking they are steel.

Steel it is then.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
all metals can be recycled.

Some metals like steel you just don't get anything for really ($.05 a ton) but it's still a good idea to do.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
all metals can be recycled.

Some metals like steel you just don't get anything for really ($.05 a ton) but it's still a good idea to do.
Exactly. Metals are some of the easiest materials to recycle.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
probably recycled just like cans.
decent recylcing programs sort their metals for you, you just toss it all into the bin for them to pick up. pretty easy to sort ferrous metal from aluminum after all

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Storage for wirenuts and nipples.
Electrical wiring is entirely too sexy. Nuts'n'nipples? What the heck?

Originally posted by: PingSpike
You put your weed in there.
Curiously strong, eh?

L

Lola

some great ideas here. I use one for our ipod case and others for lipsticks or tampons. :eek:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

Storage for wirenuts and nipples.
Electrical wiring is entirely too sexy. Nuts'n'nipples? What the heck?

I have a nipple fetish. :eek:

Get your mind(s) out of the scuppers! Text

EDIT: I wish I had two more 1/4" NPT close nipples so I could eliminate the street elbows. Never liked them. ;)