Can you please critique my resume?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: nonameo
Your GF has a really hot looking stomach.

edit: I looked twice.

Watch him drop a bomb shell and reveal to the world that it was his stomach this whole time.....

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Originally posted by: nonameo
Your GF has a really hot looking stomach.

edit: I looked twice.

Watch him drop a bomb shell and reveal to the world that it was his stomach this whole time.....

:laugh: Where's her face? That's a big book, btw.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Originally posted by: Minjin
Originally posted by: Cold Steel
Originally posted by: Caecus Veritas
i can't seem to connect to the website... but you never ever delete your objective. that's the first thing they teach you at school and other high profile companies. i've talked to executives that would literally throw out resumes that do not have an objective. An objective should consisely state what it is you are seeking and should always be included.
Concur. It's the first, and sometimes last, thing I read.

My sister is in HR and has been for a long time. She's always gone over my resume for me and has told me on many occasions that the objective is a very important part of any resume. Unless you applying for flipping burgers.
Whats the reasoning behind this? In 2000, I had to attend a class (when I left the military) on resume making and one thing she said has always stuck with me and that is that there is NO point to an objective. You're applying for a job. Thats obvious. So your objective is to get a job. Why waste precious real estate on something like that? If you are blindly sending out your resume to large companies and feel like you need to state what kind of job you want, then include a cover letter with the applicable information. Otherwise, you're mostly going to be applying to fill known positions. If the opening is for an Electrical Engineer, what should your objective be? "To obtain a position as an Electrical Engineer"? Thats never made sense to me.

It's different from HR person to HR person. If you can't put a good objective on, then don't. It's worse having a horrible objective (most people can't write them) than having none at all.

So.. what's the verdict on mine?

If you leave it in, you need to reword it. It contains an obvious error in grammar and should talk about what you want to do once employed, not what sort of company you seek. The employer reads it to know what you have to offer them. Google resume objective to see the sort of things I'm talking about. The first hit, for example, recommends against mentioning advancement / growth.

I can't remember the recommendation on whether to start with a verb or not, but yours might look better like this:

[Seeking a] Position that will encompass market research and project implementation duties.

Something like that.

Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
why do u ignore me OP?

no i will not post more pics of my gf.

it's not about pics of your gf.
it's about this being your 4th AT account, mr. lolyourface, or curiousandy, if that's your real name.

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
There's obviously different thoughts on the objective. For salaried positions, I prefer them. Not so much for hourly, though I've seen some there, too.

If you can write a good one, it's the "catch" that makes the hiring manager look at the rest. If all you have in your objective is that you want a job, don't bother. Tell them what you can do for them, but don't try to tell them you're the best thing ever. That'll get your resume into the trash real fast. Of course, the best way to tell them what you can for them is to research the company so you know what they do. Then match that with your skills.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Have you by any chance updated your resume? I'd be interested to see a revised version.

Do you have any examples of cover letters you've submitted?