Can you guys help me in my operation theater?

deepakvrao

Feb 17, 2003
What I have currently is a video camera which photographs my surgery. The processor unit has 2 s-video outputs and I use one to connect to a monitor to view the surgery and perform the surgery. Currently I connect the second S-video to my mini dv camcorder to capture the surgery.

Later I DL the mini dv to my PC via firewire and edit it. Its all a bit of a nuisance and as I dont really want the video here is what I want to do:

If I could use some sort of a card to connect the s-video from my surgery camera output] to my PC/Laptop directly - then I need to only capture JPEGS of important parts of the surgery to give the patients.

This way I wont have loads of GB HDD filled up and I wont need to spend hours editing video.

My laptop has a S-video but I'm not sure if I can use it to capture . Its an Acer Aspire 5672.

If someone could come up with a solution I would be really obliged.

Thanks.

humanure

Dec 28, 2005
You could use a USB capture device like this. You connect the camera to the capture device, and then send the video directly to a DVD or CD or to your laptops hard drive.

deepakvrao

Feb 17, 2003
Thanks but I dont want to capture the video - I want to capture a JPEG snapshot say every 10minutes or so. Will this do it?

humanure

Dec 28, 2005
you can capture still images with this. There are also some software programs that make it easy to take screen shots if that would be better.

deepakvrao

Feb 17, 2003
Thanks - sounds ideal except that I would love to have a remote so my staff can capture the images as and when I need. If I get a TV tuner card will I be able to capture still images too?

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
If your staff can take the pictures why don't you just get a digital still camera. You can use direct print to an inkjet printer as long as both the camera and printer have PictBridge. The cameras usually come with the cable that connects to the USB on the printer. Example: Use a Canon A630 camera and print to a Canon iP4300.

Besides, video cameras usually take terrible still shots anyway.

John

deepakvrao

Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: craftech
If your staff can take the pictures why don't you just get a digital still camera. You can use direct print to an inkjet printer as long as both the camera and printer have PictBridge. The cameras usually come with the cable that connects to the USB on the printer. Example: Use a Canon A630 camera and print to a Canon iP4300.

Besides, video cameras usually take terrible still shots anyway.

John

John,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I was actually in a jungle photographing tigers - no internet there.

I am sing a operative video camera which displays my surgery on a screen. This is for laparoscopy where the abdomen is not opened so there is no question of using a still caera. I need to capture what my laparoscope camera is viewing.