Can you get around key loggers with a virtual keyboard?

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I was just wondering if this may be the way to go when entering certain sensitive info. I was reading PC Magazine recently and they said that even the good spyware blockers have a hard time detecting the key-loggers. I would think that if you had a virtual keyboard, you could just click on each letter/ number and it couldnt be logged. Anyone else think this is sound?

Peace

Lounatik

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Hmmm... it really depends on how the virtual keyboard works. I'm guessing the keylogger uses a hook to catch any messages from the keyboard, so if the "virtual keyboard" works by sending those messages (which it most likely would), then it wouldn't work. You could write a pretty simple VB program that works by appending the letter you click on to the end of the contents of a textbox... then you'd have to copy-paste the textbox contents to wherever you want it to go... that would work.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I got the idea by using a Palm type handheld for work. At the end of the day, you have to enter a password to access the network and I am able to just type out the letters on the screen, instead of using the keyboard. Does the info still go through the keyboard output anyway? I feel stupid asking that, but I really dont know if it does.

Peace

Lounatik

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I would say no. A "good" key-logger would hook into the keyboard interrupt (INT6 I think) and log-chain key interrupt activities to the real handler. A virtual keyboard would probably not help as it would simply initiate an interrupt and the logger would still handle it.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would say no. A "good" key-logger would hook into the keyboard interrupt (INT6 I think) and log-chain key interrupt activities to the real handler. A virtual keyboard would probably not help as it would simply initiate an interrupt and the logger would still handle it.

Great, that seems like a logical answer to a nagging question. Muchos Gracie Ass!

Peace

Lounatik

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
the best way to do it would be to copy and paste from a webpage, or use the character map.