Can you get an accoustic bass (guitar)?

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Can you get an accoustic bass (guitar)?

My friend's got 2 electric 6 strings, 1 electric bass, 2 accoustic 6 strings, but no accoustic bass.

Can you get them?

(Maybe I'm just guitar incompotent sorry if this is a really dumb question)

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
No, they are like a normal accoustic guitar, except a bit fatter and the neck is spaced differently

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001

<< Yeah, it's called a Cello! >>

eh, the strings are different for bass and cello.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

<< http://www.ovationguitars.com/index.cfm?fa=series&sid=44

If you're looking for an acoustic bass guitar, Ovation's probably your best bet. I don't remember if any of the huge names have anything comparable (I doubt it).

Ovation makes some a##-kicking guitars... I'd check 'em out. If you're in the Seattle area, I can recommend some good stores to go to.
>>

My brother plays and had an ovation plastic back acoustic-electric. He then got a Taylor...the Taylor sounds way better IMO...

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
The bassist for Pearl Jam, Jeff Ament, has occasionally used a 6-string (or 5 I cant remember) acoustic fretless bass... amazing stuff.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<<

If you're looking for an acoustic bass guitar, Ovation's probably your best bet. I don't remember if any of the huge names have anything comparable (I doubt it).

Ovation makes some a##-kicking guitars... I'd check 'em out. If you're in the Seattle area, I can recommend some good stores to go to.
>>

My brother plays and had an ovation plastic back acoustic-electric. He then got a Taylor...the Taylor sounds way better IMO...
>>

Taylor makes a good guitar, too. I got an Art & Luthrie myself, IMO it sounds great (when someone else plays it... I still suck).

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

<<

<<

>>

>>

Taylor makes a good guitar, too. I got an Art & Luthrie myself, IMO it sounds great (when someone else plays it... I still suck).
>>

I'm not really in any position to judge...the Taylor just sounds a lot brighter (I guess that's the term I'm looking for).

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<<

<<

<<

>>

>>

>>

I'm not really in any position to judge...the Taylor just sounds a lot brighter (I guess that's the term I'm looking for).
>>

lol Right on.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<< hehe, you DO NOT want to hear me picking up a guitar :p >>

lol True dat.

You play anything else?

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000

<<

lol True dat.

You play anything else?
>>

Well, I can kill anyone in my household playing UT, AOE, etc :D As for instruments, I have a *gift* for being able to belch really loud...that's about it :eek:

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<<

<<

lol True dat.

You play anything else?
>>

Well, I can kill anyone in my household playing UT, AOE, etc :D As for instruments, I have a *gift* for being able to belch really loud...that's about it :eek:
>>

lol You should join a choir.

ElKevbo

Jul 3, 2000

<< Can you get an accoustic bass (guitar)?

My friend's got 2 electric 6 strings, 1 electric bass, 2 accoustic 6 strings, but no accoustic bass.

Can you get them?

>>

Acoustic basses are for damn wimps. Be a real man and get an upright.

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000

<<

Can you get them?

>>

>>

An "upright"?

You mean like a one of those things they stand up and play with a stick? Not quite what we're looking for here...thanks though.

What would an Electric Bass cost vs an Accoustic. Take into account the price of an amp to. This is for a beginner so we're looking for a relatively inexpensive route.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<<

<<

Can you get them?

>>

>>

An "upright"?

You mean like a one of those things they stand up and play with a stick? Not quite what we're looking for here...thanks though.

What would an Electric Bass cost vs an Accoustic. Take into account the price of an amp to. This is for a beginner so we're looking for a relatively inexpensive route.
>>

A beginner electric bass guitar is running about $300 US for a Peavey Milestone III, list. Depending on the store, (again, if you're in the Puget Sound area... I have hookups) you can probably fanangle at least 15% (up to maybe 30%) off that list price.

An acoustic bass guitar, to my knowledge, is going to cost considerably more. The roundback Ovation I quoted costs around $700 or so list (has electronics and everything, too, so you can hook it straight up to an amp).

For a good quality amp, you're talking $150 on up... $150 can get you an okay quality practice amp.

Keep in mind these are all list prices, I'd say realistically only $255 for a Peavey Milestone and $128 for the practice amp, max.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001

<< Acoustic basses are for damn wimps. Be a real man and get an upright. >>

An "upright"?

What would an Electric Bass cost vs an Accoustic. Take into account the price of an amp to. This is for a beginner so we're looking for a relatively inexpensive route
>>

Upright basses are played either with a bow (the stick you were thinking of) made of wood and horse tail hairs, or plucked with a finger. It's what they use in orchestras or jazz combos usually. If I were to get an acoustic bass, I personally go with the upright bass. Much better sound, more versatile, and if you want to amplify it all you have to do is snap an acoustic pickup on the bridge and plug 'er in.

But if you really want to go with the acoustic bass guitar, check musiciansfriend.com, in addition the other link to ovation guitars that someone else gave.

Oh, and as for an amp for electric bass, it varies from amp to amp, brand, and more importantly, size.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Tacoma makes an excellent Acoustic Bass.

Personally unless the dude is going to be doing a lot of acoustic gigs than it MAY be worth it, but other than that.........stick with an electric.