Can you get a good pencil sharpener under $100?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Attach a 1/2" Milwakee drill onto one of those crank ones. If someone does something stupid thier pencil will stab them to death as it's shot out like a bullet.

phreakah

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2002
ive had the same electric pencil sharpener for the past 10 years.. its old school but works well

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I don't like pencils.
I could not like them any less without a DSM IV diagnosis.
I don't use pencils.
The lady at the office wants an electric pencil sharpener, and if it makes her happy - under $500 is cheap.

Aquila76

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
www.facebook.com
In this case, I think it's a PEBPAS (Probelm Exists Before Pencil And Sharpener). WTF is she doing, trying to sharpen a Carpenter's pencil in there or one of those Primer pencils used in Kindergarden? I've had the same WalMart-special electric sharpener since they opened in my city about twelve (?) years ago.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Is she using it as a personal pleaure device or something? Sitting on it while she sharpens pencils? Seriously, how much pencil sharpening can one person do?!! If it's one person buy her a manual one and tell her to STFU until she learns how to use it without breaking it.

I saw a bunch at staples but the Panasonic $25 one I got link seems to work fine so far (very light usage). There were some more expensive ones with circuit protection and warranties for $50 or so like this one

Most expensive staples -- $120 one

If you are determiend not to spend $100, you can buy the $50 one with a warranty and swap it out a few times perhaps?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: glen
I don't like pencils.
I could not like them any less without a DSM IV diagnosis.
I don't use pencils.
The lady at the office wants an electric pencil sharpener, and if it makes her happy - under $500 is cheap.

Yeah? Well, tell you what...send me that $500, and I will personally buy an electric pencil sharpener, fly to your office, install it, and sharpen her first 10 pencils for her. I'm willing to do this, because that leaves a lot of money left over.

There's no reason to spend ten times what normal people do on a pencil sharpener. Do you buy $50 garbage bags?

Phlargo

Jul 21, 2004
That's a serious writer - goes through pencil sharpeners? I've had the same one at home for nearly 10 years.. I think my mom snaked it from her company about... well.. 10 years ago ;-)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
100 bucks?!

I'd never spend 100$ on a pencil sharpener.. lol

pens FTW!

Edit: Read the thread. :eek:

There are some good ones posted in this thread, it seems. Pick the one you think is the highest quality if money is no object. :)