can you DO this with a 9700?? just pull an 8500 out and stick a 9700 in?

Lichee

Jan 2, 2001
im upgrading from an 8500 to a 9700 pro and was just wanting to take a quick shortcut in the meantime. that shortcut would be to simply pull the 8500 out and stick the 9700 while using the Catalysts 2.2.

can ya do it without having to format?

I just want to test this baby out before i format later this week, but i have tests and what not coming up so i dont have the time.

thanks for the help

jamie2833

May 1, 2001
it should be fine mate, just un-install the current drivers that you are using for the radeon 8500, switch off machine, stick new radeon 9700 in, boot up and install the drivers again for it.

even though they are the same drivers you must un-install them when you take out the radeon 8500 and install them again when you put in the radeon 9700.

if you leave the drivers in and expect it to work for the radeon 9700 then you are wrong because the system has drivers installed for the radeon 8500, and when you take the radeon 8500 out then the system it just acts like it is not there, and will treat your radeon 9700 like a new piece of hardware which it is and will need drivers for that card......even though it is the same drivers.

the drivers at the moment are optimised for the radeon 8500, if you drop the 9700 in now it wont be able to take full advantage of it's features, unless you re-install the drivers, which it will do then.

hope this clears it up for you.

you shouldn't need to format at all. some people do when switching between NVIDIA and ATI cards but should be ok if going from an ATI to ATI card.

Lichee

Jan 2, 2001
ah! that is the answer i wanted to hear! thanks a bunch jamie :)

in reference to the format, it has been awhile coming for me. i used to format like once every 1-3 months. it has been like almost a year now. ;)

ive been looking for a good reason to wipe all this junk off my system.

jamie2833

May 1, 2001
yeah i know what you mean, formatting is pretty good when you got loads of junk, it's also good for testing your system, when you format and put everything back on, but just windows, not all your games and office programs etc then i find that's the best way to test your graphics card, for madonion 3DMark2K1.

when i sorted out the problem with me geforce 4 Ti4200 i formatted etc and i must have got about 9500 points or something, then when i put all my programs back on the i use, games etc my points dropped by about 2000, maybe there is something wrong, or i need more RAM or something, but it's a good way to test a new GFX card.

or if you have a spare HDD just keep it minimal and hardly use it, just for testing or something, like a ten gig or something to save from all the format fuss etc.

it is good to format every now and then though unless you manually want to go through all the crap you have downloaded etc etc .

oh yeah dont supose you know how to get rid of GAIN software advertising do you? i think it installs itself with GO!zilla or something, and it's really bugging me!

Lichee

Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: jamie2833
oh yeah dont supose you know how to get rid of GAIN software advertising do you? i think it installs itself with GO!zilla or something, and it's really bugging me!

hehe. nope. but that is one thing i plan on getting rid of when i format. :)

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jamie2833

Look into a program called "Ad Aware" (I think it's made by some programmers in Germany). Ad Aware detects all of the spyware you have on your computer, and lets you disable and delete them.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I just took my TI200 out today and dumped in a GF4 TI4200 without any problems at all. 3 minute process! :D

Moishe

Feb 27, 2002
Believe it or not I went thru an intense email battle with gator advertising.
You can't get rid of it just by uninstalling the programs that it came with. GAIN installed itself on my machine without asking one day and I flipped. I got rid of it by killing the prog in taskman, finding the files (Search for CMESys, GMT, GAIN), and clearing out all related registry entries (search for CMESYS, GMT, GAIN, Gator).
So if you wanna get rid of it, you can.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
just pull an 8500 out and stick a 9700 in?
No, you need to uninstall the drivers first, shut down, swap the cards and then start up the system and install the new drivers.

jamie2833

May 1, 2001
moishe, that exactly what i found out, that it is a seperate program that installs it self from another program, i just deleted it from startup and found the root folder and deleted the sucker, it took about 3mb of my system memory as taskmanager showed!

EdipisReks

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Moishe
Believe it or not I went thru an intense email battle with gator advertising.
You can't get rid of it just by uninstalling the programs that it came with. GAIN installed itself on my machine without asking one day and I flipped. I got rid of it by killing the prog in taskman, finding the files (Search for CMESys, GMT, GAIN), and clearing out all related registry entries (search for CMESYS, GMT, GAIN, Gator).
So if you wanna get rid of it, you can.

adware would have been a lot easier.