Can you cut nicotine patches in half?

Oct 16, 1999
Anyone know? These things are a bit on the expensive side. I want to get a couple of boxes of the 1st step patches and cut them in half since I'm a fairly light smoker. And since I know this will come up, I've tried cold turkey and gradually stepping down but it just hasn't worked. I'm weak.

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
NEVER EVER EVER EVER cut one.

They are designed to release a specific amount at a time. There is enough nicotine in one to actually kill a person if injested, BTW.

If you want control, get the gum or something like that.

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've wondered about this but... if a non smoker (such as myself) wanted the buzz nicotine provided, would there be any side effects to buying a pack of gum and flying around for a bit?

:D

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: raptor13
I've wondered about this but... if a non smoker (such as myself) wanted the buzz nicotine provided, would there be any side effects to buying a pack of gum and flying around for a bit?

:D

None at all, if you enjoy barfing and being three shades of green.

Vad3r

Nov 25, 2000
patch didn't work to well for me, I smoked them all faster than my cigarettes :/

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Monel Funkawitz
Originally posted by: raptor13 I've wondered about this but... if a non smoker (such as myself) wanted the buzz nicotine provided, would there be any side effects to buying a pack of gum and flying around for a bit? :D
None at all, if you enjoy barfing and being three shades of green.

I assume you say that just because the concentration of nicotine is so high for someone who isn't used to it. That's a good point. Maybe I better just stick to the bottle. ;)

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yes, you can cut them in 1/2 and it saves a bunch of $ if you do...

The 21mg can be trimmed to adjust for the tapering dose they recommend, 14 mg=2/3 of a patch, 7 mg=1/3 of a patch...

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

The 21mg can be trimmed to adjust for the tapering dose they recommend, 14 mg=2/3 of a patch, 7 mg=1/3 of a patch...

Box I have says "No way Jose" on patch chopping.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Monel Funkawitz
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Box I have says "No way Jose" on patch chopping.

Well of course, the box was printed by the folks charging the same $ for 21mg, 14mg, and 7mg patches. :) I've searched google and it looks like you can cut them OK.