Can you cancel a font?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This is a weird one - the Q anonsense right has its own list of statues it wants to see come down. And, to be honest, I'm not sure I disagree with them (on this one single topic). Long thought Gill was a really dodgy character. Though, on the other hand, it doesn't seem consistent with the right-wing complaints about slave-owner statues being targeted. Why are some statues legitimate targets and not others? Slavery and sexual-abuse were closely related.

Edit - I guess there's a distinction between objecting to a statue because of who it's a statue _of_ and who it's created by. People would presumably defend Gill's statues on the basis they have intrinsic artistic merit, which is clearly not the case for most of those Confederacy statues and the like. Still, I find it confusing, given just how creepy Gill was.

Gill also designed the font used, among other things, on the "classic" London Underground map.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If you can cancel a font Wingdings is in trouble.

For those who don't know type NYC into word and then convert to wingdings. Not great!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: pmv and dank69

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I mean, the whole thing gains additional poignancy given the Jimmy Saville scandal and the degree to which that implicated the BBC as an institution. It's not a 'good look' to have a statue by a known child-abuser at the heart of your corporate image.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
If you can cancel a font Wingdings is in trouble.

For those who don't know type NYC into word and then convert to wingdings. Not great!
Wingdings, really? You're dead to me.

Edit: That NYC thing is more than a little troubling.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Another take on it - again, seems that Q-crazies aren't wrong about absolutely everything.

(Difficult not to conclude that the guy was a grade-A weirdo.)

And it seems that you _can_ cancel a font

Save the Children is going to stop using his typeface Gill sans

Though I am not convinced a font is as directly connected to its creator as is a statue.