Can you attach a router to a switch?

tihifnis

Sep 30, 2009
Hi there, I have 100/100mbit internet from an RJ45 socket in the wall. If I take an Ethernet cable and plug it into my PC, I can download with almost full speed which is great, but I miss having wifi for my laptop and smartphone.

I found my old netgear router and while I now have wifi too, it simply can't handle the speed and many open connections when I download. Aaaw! :(

I was thinking about buying an expensive router as a replacement, but then I wondered if it would be possible to just buy a simple gigabit switch, and then add my cheap netgear router as a mean of getting wifi. Would that work?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pchpwqalpmaevg7/Unavngivet.jpg?dl=0

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It kind of depends. If you can pull more than one IP, from whatever source you get your connection from over ethernet, then you could use a switch for your wired computers, and then add an AP for your wireless devices.

Most people, though, are limited to a single IP address than needs to be shared with all of their devices, which means that they need a router, and to plug the WAN port on the router into the ethernet jack in the wall.

Personally, I would recommend an AC66U, or an N66U if you don't care about wireless 802.11ac.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The word Internet can cove many technical scenarios.

There is No credible answer unless you explain what is coming out of the Wall (I.e., what and is sending the signal to the RJ-45 on the wall).

:cool:

tihifnis

Sep 30, 2009
Thanks VirtualLarry, I can see what you mean about only getting one IP. Guess I'll need to buy an expensive router then :(

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
You dont have to spend a ton of money to get a router that can handle your needs, you just need to look beyond the average dlink/linksys. Take a look at some buffalo and asus, they tend to have better specs for good prices.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A cheap wireless router can cause lots of problems. If the wireless cuts in and out then it can cause wired connections to fail also. It does not make sense but the more things you connect to a single ip, the more things can go wrong.

If you connected a router keep in mind that a router is designed to let things pass through in one direction but not the other unless it is specifically configured.

I had a cheap wireless router a few years back from AT&T and my streaming video from HULU kept losing the connection. They upgraded to digital and seemed to fix a lot of DSL problems.

Last edited:

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
A cheap wireless router can cause lots of problems. If the wireless cuts in and out then it can cause wired connections to fail also. It does not make sense but the more things you connect to a single ip, the more things can go wrong.

If you connected a router keep in mind that a router is designed to let things pass through in one direction but not the other unless it is specifically configured.

I had a cheap wireless router a few years back from AT&T and my streaming video from HULU kept losing the connection. They upgraded to digital and seemed to fix a lot of DSL problems.

Not really. That isn't wireless cutting in and out, that is the ROUTER cutting in and out. I had a wifi router that went on the fritz. When it was dying it wouldn't route traffic over the WAN port, nor could you access the management page. The wireless and LAN ports all worked perfectly though, so I switched to using it as an AP (routing/management would die after 10-14hrs of use as a router). I've also had a router that would work perfectly, but the wireless AP in the router would occasionally conk out and the whole thing would need to be rebooted for the wireless to work again. Still routed traffic over the WAN port just fine though.

That is completely not true about being designed to only pass traffic one way. It does ROUTING, which means moving packets both directions. It functions in effect as a firewall, limiting inbound traffic only to packets that were requested from inside the network, unless you do port forwarding. This is because of Network Address Translation. If something inside doesn't request something from outside, then the router doesn't know where to send a packet when its coming from the outside (without port forwarding).

Otherwise its an "unaddressed packet" as far as the router is concerned and it drops it.

This isn't an issue in 99.9% of use cases, because for a personal network, you generally only want data coming in from the outside when you are requesting it/connecting to a service.

That is the basics, I can get more depth in to how a router works if you'd like.

As for a cheap router, well, yeah, sometimes they are bunk. However, pretty much any cheap router with gigabit ports on it should be able to handle routing a 100/100 internet connection at full speed. The really cheap ones might not be able to handle much more than that, but they'll sure handle a 100/100 connection fine.

Its once you start talking about 200+Mbps internet connections that low end gigabit routers might not be able to keep up. Then again, there are some high end routers that won't keep up with that either, depending on the services running and the type of internet connection you have going on.

A $40 gigabit router should handle your 100/100 connection fine. My personal suggestion would be a TP-Link WDR3600. Nice and solid, good wireless, very good routing performance. ~$50 new. I've bought two of them open box for $35 each.

Also I cringe that you were or are running your desktop straight to the internet. Software firewalls are only so good. Granted routers have plenty of security vulnerabilities too, but at least you'd have to get through an exploit in the router before you could ever try to target something behind the router. Direct connected its only software firewall and a prayer protecting you.

tihifnis

Sep 30, 2009
Ah, good point about the firewall! :)

Well my router is fine-ish for now, I can get 45mbit/70mbit vs 98/99mbit without it, but if I open utorrent it completely crumbles. I can barely access the management page, surfing is like with a 56k modem and I can only download through utorrent with about 5-7mbit max. I've found out that it's caused by the huge number of connections caused by utorrent, and I've reduced the number which helps a lot. But still, it would be nice to be able to download and surf at the same time :)

I found this website that ranks routers according to different stats, and I've been looking at the following chart that shows the max amount of connections they can handle, and guess I'll just get one of those that are in the top.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/77-max-simul-conn

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Yeah, so your router isn't cutting it in terms of the available resources it has available (ram/cpu) to handle the high number of concurrent connections you're sending through via utorrent. I see this all the time with our customers at work.

Your only solution to that specific problem is to buy or build a better router. You can definitely do what you said about putting in a switch to keep some devices wired and other devices use the lesser-performance of the existing router. Cheap routers weren't meant for super heavy usage. :)

tihifnis

Sep 30, 2009
I see :) Hm...I need some help with how the setup would look like, if indeed it is possible with a switch.

I take it you mean this setup will work then :)
isSU0D7PJ96bLDLlbDs9E7ju0z1iDdPVjSGHAcDvYcaIcayj6csv05cmP6UPJ2wG

Opycpy7n9kxgMDohekaQVnqHjDbiXSzOJLwqXZr1hUZ3q3D0akdA4bnOfEEusk93

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjj1nj8quhzryir/setup-2.jpg?dl=0

1) That way I've got a hardware firewall like azazel1024 mentions
2) I've only got 1 IP that's dynamic as pointed out by VirtualLarry.

But the switch isn't doing any work this way, am I right? It's basically just relaying the packets from the poor Netgear router which still has to handle all the traffic, which is why I don't see how that setup would fix anything. And if you are talking the setup below, well then the issues about my 1 IP address and the lack of firewall is present. So what to do? :eek:

GmD0aX0CEhy2k9BbeYr7Ror6_0EnrThWbwTGUgbTeAk

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pchpwqalpmaevg7/Unavngivet.jpg?dl=0

By the way, thanks for the help guys...networking isn't my strong site :)

Last edited:

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
No, it will not work with a switch. The only way it can work with a switch between internet and your devices is if there is a router first. That or you have to be able to get multiple IP addresses from your ISP.

The only time you need to add a switch is

A) You don't have enough ports on your router to handle the wired devices of your network, thus switch to expand the ports you need

B) You need L2/L3 management features from a semi-managed/managed switch that your router cannot provide

C) Your router only has 10/100 ports, you have a slow internet connection and you desire a gigabit local network to connect your devices, thus gigabit switch behind the router and all wired devices connecting to the switch first.

Just get a decent router, just about any decent and newer gigabit router should likely handle things fine. I don't do "the torrents" at all, but with a straight regular connection, my "ancient" Netgear WNDR3500L could easily handle my 75/35 internet connection (it was only recently upgraded to 75/75) pushing/pulling 82/38Mbps over the wire with no issues at all. My WDR3600 and AC1750 router both easily pushed 82/94 on my 75/75 connection.

tihifnis

Sep 30, 2009
I see, thank you for your help, it's been greatly appreciated :)

I've also added the pictures to the previous post, I guess they were stored in my browsers cache and I was the only one able to see them :)

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I would be watchful of Buffalo.
I have had 2, 1 just quit working, the other one quit after 1 year, sent for warranty. Got a different modem (same model) in less than a year its flakey, loosing connections. I do like the dd-wrt installed but I am wondering if the parts are just not that good.
Netgear, well to me(MY OPINION) their interface SUCKS. They try to make it plug and play. more like open everything and have fun, oh and push this button and add your neighbors LOL. second they rename settings and then display the true use/name of the option in the help...WTF
Last they don't have enable disable on most things they expect you to set it to enable and remove settings to disable...ok is it disabled or not
good hardware though.

Last edited:

sonitravel09

Jun 25, 2014
Go to Router > Switch (uplink or autosense port) > PCs.

If for some reason that doesn't work, get a new 1gig switch, it is cheaper.