Can you at least change vertical spacing of this forum?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Why change a perfectly working forum????

1. Sooo much space WASTED, so much vertical spacing. You have to scroll a crapton to view same amount of content.
2. My eyes hurt. Too much white on thin font.
3. Good bye mobile browsing.

linthat22

Dec 2, 2011
I've noticed while surfing on the phone that you have to wait for the page to fully load or suffer the consequences of thinking you're clicking on "Off Topic" and then a big ass ad loads and off you go into the photography forum.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I've noticed while surfing on the phone that you have to wait for the page to fully load or suffer the consequences of thinking you're clicking on "Off Topic" and then a big ass ad loads and off you go into the photography forum.
The old forum was the same way except I'd end up in the security forum. I don't understand why they can't put a placeholder there of specific size to let he ad load in.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I read that XenForo is multi platform friendly. I actually think phpBB is more mobile friendly and that is what I use.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I miss the old forum already. Now it feels like I'm at some shitpost site like notebookreview forums.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The old forum was the same way except I'd end up in the security forum. I don't understand why they can't put a placeholder there of specific size to let he ad load in.

Agreed. This frustrated the crap out of me on the old forum.

KT

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
I wish I have four hands so I can give this new design four thumbs down.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I don't need to know what staff are online. I'd rather reclaim the space on the right that was lost.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Bring back the old forum. I hate the white, the wasted space, the lack of a User CP link so I could see recently commented on posts I've subscribed to, etc. Too much suckage here, debating departing this forum.

Reactions: Darknite39

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
The new forum changes look great on a 14 inch laptop. Experts on accessibility agree that a white background is best for those with vision issues.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Having an extra wide monitor on the main rig and expanding the screen the right bar is pretty minimal a problem here with the width toggle bottom left, but it seems to be a problem with a lot of people I guess.

I'd imagine it would be a pita on mobile.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I miss the old forum already. Now it feels like I'm at some shitpost site like notebookreview forums.
Yea, it's like a forum used for food recipes or something, the font is too thin, not dark enough and as already noted wastes a LOT of space. Oh well, I guess they live the motto often seen in hardware, "if it ain't broke keep fixing it til it is broke"..

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Yea, it's like a forum used for food recipes or something, the font is too thin, not dark enough and as already noted wastes a LOT of space. Oh well, I guess they live the motto often seen in hardware, "if it ain't broke keep fixing it til it is broke"..

It's the one job that can't be exported to China, requires that personal touch.
Wonder what happens if I do this...*pzzzt!* :eek:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The color scheme is awful, but there are workarounds for that on the users end. The template and spacing are freaking awful and as far as I know it's impossible for us to do anything about that.. So much space pissed away.

Repeating in case anyone in management is listening: You have utterly trashed the look and function of the forum for people using real computers with real monitors. While this design might work for people using phones it doesn't work for the rest of us. Nuke that ridiculous right side panel ASAP. How on earth does eating up that much of the screen space to force viewers to see staff and a list of who's online seem like a good idea to anyone? That kind of shit got abandoned 20 years ago, freaking GeoCities sites were designed better than this.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
At the same time, I wish I had the navigation bar back (forum jump-list, subbed threads, options etc). I'd gladly trade that for the floating members bar.
I think if we want to elicit a change though we may need to actually post in the technical forum. Off topic is just for crying.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
This is the modern design of interfaces. I'm curious if those dissatisfied with it like the modern interface of Windows 10. If wasted space is an annoyance, what are your thoughts on 10? BTW I agree especially about the even longer load time of the ad causing miss clicks.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Because since they're using dynamic ad loading, they have no idea how big the ad will be. If the reserved space is too small, you get jumping. If the reserved space is too big, then you get this massive empty space.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Because since they're using dynamic ad loading, they have no idea how big the ad will be. If the reserved space is too small, you get jumping. If the reserved space is too big, then you get this massive empty space.

Yeah... I remember that time they had an ad that was half a page size. Usually when you contract ads you have size limitations. Set the reserved space to the maximum ad size. I'd rather have a blank border around the ad than have to wait for the ad to load before I can trust clicking anything.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Should have went phpBB like I mentioned numerous times. Although the conversion from vB could be a major PITA hence why I can see the move to XenForo since it was created by the vB Devs.

I think a different XenForo style could fix the space issues and perhaps the left side bar stuff. Right now I suppose they are making sure everything goes alright before changing themes.

I need to test XenForo out myself in Xampp and see what its capable of. I use Xampp to test things in my phpBB driven site before I go live with it. By far the three best pieces of software I ever used are Notepad++, Xampp and Winmerge. Where would I be without those? LOL Oh! Add WinSCP!

It amazes me that people complained about lack of security and what have you, there's a change to address this and now no one likes it. LOL Just be happy your passwords are now hashed with bcrypt instead of the old asinine MD5 and now there's HTTPS. They should add DNSSEC.

Last edited: