can you actually improve creativity?

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000
I'm pretty sure people are born with creativity...but for people who aren't or people who doesn't have a lot of creativity, can they actually hone and improve it? and how?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I dont think so. I am not creative, but my girldfriend is. She can think up cool stories in a second, i never can do stuff like that. She is artsy-fartsy, and i'm a computer geek =].

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
from the way i see it. sure u can. person that is less creative just has to work harder at it.

so for example lets say you have to make a superbowl commercial. for a creative person i guess they can just think of something, but for you, it take very deep research to find who will be watching superbowl and how it relates to your product and their interests. so you'll just have to get all the info you can and build with that.

Missus

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2000
Yeah... With talent...

;)

Or as my piano teacher Mrs Cook used to say...

PRACTICE!!!!

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
no,,, I firmly believe you CAN'T force someone or try to increase their Creativity. its 'by birth' or nature in Psychology, oppose to Nurture.
maybe hanging around with some interesting ppl may HELP (not definite).

age may comes as a factor, you can expect a 5 year old kid to come up with crazy cool stuff, only time could tell...
(and that sound pathetically futile :( :p )

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think a lot of creativity is seeing things in a different way. It's out of the box thinking. It's like humor, something is funny cause it comesw from an unexpected direction. Mulla Nasrudin stories illustrate it well. The mulla was seen riding through the town backwards on his donkey. When people commented on it Nasrudin replied, 'Has it never occurred to you that it was the donkey that's wrong side round." Another time he wqs shown the view of a very beutiful lake. He gqasped aqnd moned it's so beaqutiful BUT, so beautiful BUT... But what, gasped his host. But if only they hadn't poured wqter all over it. Insight and humor are complementry, they depend on a flexibility that leaves self behind. Who ever you are, you are funny. Hope you get the joke.

Bojo

Jun 17, 2000
Let me make an analogy:

Some people are naturally physically stronger than others. Person A is a naturally well built man but does not excercise very much at all. Person B is naturally weaker man than person A but every day person B goes to the gym for an hour and also does other excercises.

Who is stronger? Obviously person B is by a long way.

The same theory can be applied to creativity. It has basically been proven that the human brain can be "excercised" and made smarter, quicker etc. There are many examples of this, and you can buy books etc that can help people excercise their brain in whatever field they want e.g. memorizing things, better maths etc.

But of course there is a certain difference with creativity. This could perhaps be compared to enhancing your compassionate abilities or something. It's not quite as easy to measure as someones ability to memorize something.

So I don't really know of any courses or books offhand to refere you to to help with creativity but I can garantee you that there are. And I believe that it certainly is possible to enhance creativity by excercise you creative side, just like the physically weaker person can can excercise and kick the ass of someone naturally strong.

I would suggest these excercises. From personal experience I certainly think they work.

Think of a creative activity, i.e Writing. Drawing. etc.

For writing. define what sort of writing e.g. a movie script. For 20 minuets force yourself to write a paragraph describing the plot of a movie every minuet. Once 20 minuets is up you should have 20 different ideas. Then pick 5 ideas and spend 20 minuets refining those ideas. then pick 1 final idea and write the script! I promise you this kind of excercise will make you more "imaginative".

The same applies for drawing. Say you want to do cartoon caracters. come up with a new caracter every minuet for 20 minuets. then refine 5. then pick one and fully sketch out the character in different poses etc.

But it's hard work. Not many people will have the will to do this very often. but the more you do it the more creative you will become. And if you "excercise" enough you will become a very creative person - its just that you won't be "naturally" creative, but who cares right? You'll still be more creative than many "naturally" creative people.

Also it will help if you engage yourself in creative activities for inspiration.

Good luck.

bobtist

Jan 21, 2001
I came up with two opposing arguements very quickly:)

Number One

Throw away your computer and television, spend more time in your own thoughts and in the real world and nature. Enjoy things that are beautifully created...

Number Two

Don't do number one. Even though I think that the entertainment industry has created a society of lethargic farts, I suppose that some people's creativities are actually fanned by the fake stimulation of the senses. So whatever...

I like #1 better. But I'm "creative" enough. Why can't people just be content, that's my question:)