Can we have a fiscally conservative and socially liberal candidate?

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
It seems like the Republicans have completely changed their ideals and aren't looking to turn back anytime soon. They are reckless in terms of fiscal responsibility, aggressive in foreign policy, and are turning ultra-conservative in terms of social issues. The Democrats aren't any better either, whoring themselves out to whatever interest group suits them at the time. Are there any parties left out there that promote fiscal responsiblity, but progressive social views? Or are we all just doomed between this oligopoly of the two parties.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
It seems like the Republicans have completely changed their ideals and aren't looking to turn back anytime soon. They are reckless in terms of fiscal responsibility, aggressive in foreign policy, and are turning ultra-conservative in terms of social issues. The Democrats aren't any better either, whoring themselves out to whatever interest group suits them at the time. Are there any parties left out there that promote fiscal responsiblity, but progressive social views? Or are we all just doomed between this oligopoly of the two parties.

Perhaps if the Libertarian Party can release itself from the grips of the TM crowd, it'll have a chance.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Isn't that what Arnold is supposed to be?

Yeah. So far, he's living up to it. I guess when u're a hollywood actor with millions of dollar's you don't give a rats ass about politics as usual.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I wish, hell I would take fiscally conservative and socially conservative over this admin.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
If only Arnold could run for President, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. What this country needs is a president that can unite us all. I understand each party wants to win elections, but what is more important: winning an election, or bettering the Untied States and democracy as a whole?

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
If only Arnold could run for President, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. What this country needs is a president that can unite us all. I understand each party wants to win elections, but what is more important: winning an election, or bettering the Untied States and democracy as a whole?

Do you really need the answer to that one? Look how much money is spent to attain the Presidency.

edit: What's up with your icon, anyway?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Canada's three major parties are all socially progressive parties...
fiscal aspects are basically the only things discussed :)

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Stunt

I'm not ever leaving America to go to Canada, not ever. This is my country and I'll be damned if I"m gonna see it divided like this for the rest of my lifetime.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002

I'm not ever leaving America to go to Canada, not ever. This is my country and I'll be damned if I"m gonna see it divided like this for the rest of my lifetime.

im not asking you to...no offense :)

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000

hehe, I know. Anyways, Southern California is probably a lot like Canada with the exception of weather so I'd prob. fit right in.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000

hehe, I know. Anyways, Southern California is probably a lot like Canada with the exception of weather so I'd prob. fit right in.

... and the tax is a little less in California ;)

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: assemblage
Michael Savage says he's those things.

Was this before or after he told a gay man to die of AIDS and rot in hell on his shortlived MSNBC show?

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I would vote for Mccain, and definitly for Arnold. Since Bush doens't have to worry about getting reelected, I would like to see him push for an amendment to the constitution so that people who have been here for X amount of years can run for Office.

I really think if Arnold ran in 2008, he would win in a heartbeat.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The Libertarian party already exists. So far, they haven't had much luck telling people that they should live within their means and not butt into their neighbor's private business. It doesn't seem to sell well, as most people like low taxes, big government, and screwing their neighbor over.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

Well progressive/liberal social views means more spending in government. It means universal healthcare. It means better public education. It means actively trying to bridge the gap between the wealthy and poor. If by fiscal responsibility you mean balancing budgets, then thats one thing. If by fiscal responsibility you mean cutting taxes and spending, and shrinking the size of government in social programs, that's another thing (its really fiscal conservatism).

As governor of Vermont, Howard Dean was fiscally responsible (in that he balanced every year's budget even though he wasn't required to) and socially progressive (civil unions and universal child healthcare).

His PAC:

Inspired by the presidential campaign of Howard Dean, Democracy for America (DFA) is a political action committee dedicated to supporting fiscally responsible, socially progressive candidates at all levels of government?from school board to the presidency. DFA fights against the influence of the far right-wing and their radical, divisive policies and the selfish special interests that for too long have dominated our politics.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Depends on if you mean by fiscally conservative and socially liberal candidate, a person who believes in small government, few government handouts (entitlement programs), and balanced budgets. If this is what you mean, see me in 5 years and I'll run for President. :)

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
When I think of those two things, I think of conservative economics (small government, low taxes, free trade, live within your means and no free lunch) and liberal social issues (equal rights, gay marriage, keep religion out of the government, pro-choice, etc). That's my ideal candidate, you get to do what you want with your money and your personal life as long as it doesn't get in the way of everyone else's right to do the same.

The problem is that most people aren't really interested very much in freedom of one sort or another. So we have candidates who want to let you do whatever you want socially, but take all your money to give to old/poor people and prop up failing industries or candidates who want business to take care of itself, and force you to live by their moral viewpoint even when it doesn't impact other people.

Getting a candidate to agree on freedom in BOTH those places would require someone to come out and say they think you know what to do with your life better than the government does. But people get into government because the are men of ideas and vision and they think they are smarter than you and we'd all be better off if we did what they said. And the hell of it is, people WANT that. Leading your own life can be tough, having the government deal with your money and/or personal life makes things easier. Especially when they deal with the money/personal life of people you don't care too much about to benefit you.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
if anything I would much rather have it be the other way around...a fiscally liberal and socially conservative....I have nothing against big govt per say but don't like the ideology of the liberal platform.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: bozack
if anything I would much rather have it be the other way around...a fiscally liberal and socially conservative....I have nothing against big govt per say but don't like the ideology of the liberal platform.
Well, he just got re-elected to the White House.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: bozack
Well, he just got re-elected to the White House.

true true...:)