Can we give California to China and call the debt paid?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
CA is the top tech producer(all tech), the leader in agriculture(twice as much as the next nearest state), the list goes on and on. There is a reason CA produces about twice as much GDP as Texas, its nearest rival.

Texas has oil. But its running out of water and while CA is the most debt ridden state, Texas is third.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2001
What does Silicon Valley produce? Intellectual property.

Its not like Silicon Valley has factories that makes are real product. All of those engineers can be relocated.

I'm a SV native and while I believe a lot of tech startups are nothing but hype and vaporware, you can't just replace that talent yet. People come from all over the world to SV to get their stab at tech. You really think factories are important? Those are built all in China now, and if anything, the US is struggling to keep those jobs. You really think blue collar labor makes you valuable when there's billions of workers ready to take their jobs for a fraction of the cost? The Silicon Valley represents the transformation away from manufacturing where ideas are executed and the brightest folks are inventing and developing products. There's no where else around the world with this kind of talent.

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Factories are what supports the middle class.

The vast majority of tech manufacturing is in china.

Have you ever been in a factory? Do you have the slightest idea what you are talking about?

Actually, the percentage of the worlds manufacturing being done by the USA is still a bit greater than China though it won't be long before China surpasses the USA.

20 years ago when Clinton came into office the business elite finally got the trade policies they'd been pushing for years to get but couldn't get enough Democrats to go along with the nearly 100% support from Republicans -- Clinton strong armed enough Dems to get GATT, NAFTA and the WTO along with many other trade deals that ushered in to huge sucking sound Perot talked about but was laughed at for even though he was right.

20 years ago China was an economic nobody but as companies moved production to China to take advantage of cheap labor, non existent worker safety and environmental policies that brought about the decline of the middle class, China, a communist country that hates us, is getting stronger and will someday surpass us. Interesting that the biggest proponents of these policies, the rich, the business elite, and the Republicans all profess a hatred of communism but nonetheless promoted policies that strengthened the commies and weakened us.

Those of use that argued these trade policies back then would kill our economy were laughed at but we were right. The business elite got what they wanted but you know the saying about being careful what you wish for...

The USA was the arsenal of democracy because of our manufacturing base and as we've lost that base we are losing our democracy...

Brian

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I dont know...
CA has taken a major positive turnaround since Jerry took over.
Texas could only hope to be as good.
And if a bunch of pot heads can turn a failing state around to a positive in such short time,
I say bring on the weed.
Texas to China. Thats the ticket.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Our debt will be paid to china,
liberals will have something to complain about with their new communist leaders,
the nation will rid itself of liberals all in one swift deal,
welfare families will be put to work making smartphones.

What could go wrong?

I liked the idea of people who were unhappy with the results of the 2012 moving out of the country. I really like the idea of people unhappy with a diverse US population moving to Montana, or is North Dakota, so they can be with other people who look like them. Going by what the Tea Partiers are saying they want the US to be like Mississippi they can moved there.

I can not support defranchising people to achieve one's political goals. The idea of selling California is similar to this.

If you want to get people off welfare, look at the states, for example MISS, WV, Georgia, Alabama, etc, that voted for Mr Romney last year.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I'd say lets give Red China Red America.. and Blue America can be quite happy with Canada. Win win for everyone and I for one love the Canadian health care system.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
He's from Texas. Duh

LOL.
1305655278216023.jpg

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Who cares? Oil is a global commodity. California had 13% of the entire country's GDP as of 2010. You want to give away the crown jewel of the country and you think you're going to balance it with oil?

No wonder you live in Texas.

Exactly.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
We already gave CA back to Mexico, you'll have to pick another state. I'd nominate NY. Since all the rich folks there are making lots of money on us shipping over everythign we possibly can to be done elsewhere, it only seems fair.

not all of NY just NYC, the rest of the state is not like those people

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I'm a SV native and while I believe a lot of tech startups are nothing but hype and vaporware, you can't just replace that talent yet. People come from all over the world to SV to get their stab at tech. You really think factories are important?

People are more portable than factories.

Whether those engineers / developers are in SV or a slum area of Detroit, they are the same people doing the same job.

Last edited:

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Excellent suggestion, but here is why it will not work. [plus some other stuff said]

As my boss would say: "I'm not really interested in hearing any excuses of why it can't work -- lots of people can, and probably will, say that. You're not in that group. I want you people to assume this is going to be done, brainstorm together and come up with a plan to get it done."

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
As my boss would say: "I'm not really interested in hearing any excuses of why it can't work -- lots of people can, and probably will, say that. You're not in that group. I want you people to assume this is going to be done, brainstorm together and come up with a plan to get it done."

There is an old saying - The only disability in life is a bad attitude (not that you have a bad attitude).

When a group of people face a problem they will divide into two factions - the yes group and the no group.

The yes group will find a way to get it done. They will say yes, it can be done and we are going to do it.

The other group is the no group. They are the ones who makes excuses as to why it can not be done. This is the group who gives up without even trying.

Personally I think we can end the nations spending problems. But first we have to cut off the leaches who are sucking the system dry, such as wall street and the banks.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
We could probably toss in West Virginia and Kentucky as a bonus, the Chinese need the coal more than the US .

I was going to offer new york so the coal could be shipped out of those northern ports.

There is an article on motherjones about how much coal china is importing. The numbers are downright scary.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
I was going to offer new york so the coal could be shipped out of those northern ports.

There is an article on motherjones about how much coal china is importing. The numbers are downright scary.

Again you show a lack of geographical knowledge. Shipping coal from New York isn't going to work very well since New York faces the Atlantic Ocean, not the Pacific Ocean.

Please look at a map before you continue to make retarded posts.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Reading fail. This was in regards to New York. Look at a map, then slap yourself for being a retard.

Considering most of the coal mines are near the east coast, which is easier, transport the coal by train to the west coast, or ship the coal out of the east coast?

Maybe you have never seen 100 tons, or even a 1,000 tons of something that needed to be transported thousands of mines?

Trains do a good job with a 1,000 tons, and 10,000 tons, but we are talking millions of tons of coal that need to need shipped to china.

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Reading fail. This was in regards to New York. Look at a map, then slap yourself for being a retard.

Shipping coal from New York isn't going to work very well since New York faces the Atlantic Ocean, not the Pacific Ocean.

Last I checked Norfolk faces the Atlantic ocean as well.

fr73.png

The Panama canal allows ship traffic from the Atlantic Ocean to Pacific Ocean and vice versa.

portMap_PanamaCanal_r2_0.gif

Maybe you should work on your map skills as well and look in the mirror to find the retard.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Last I checked Norfolk faces the Atlantic ocean as well.

Maybe you should work on your map skills as well and look in the mirror to find the retard.

Last I checked, Norfolk wasn't in New York. If you want to give Virginia to China so bad, then suggest that instead of arguing that there is some amazing port in New York to ship coal from, retard.