Can video card failure lock up a motherboard?

flyted

Dec 6, 2004
ATI Radeon 9250. Everything was fine until a month ago when my computer didnt want to shutdown and kept rebooting at the last second. Now it turns on via the ps only, no video, no HD noise, but all the fans turn and the green MB standby power light is on. I noticed the video card fan wasnt turning, and was difficult to turn by hand, maybe it overheated the card and did something? Is that possible? I dont recall if I ever saw the fan turning as its years old and I don't game and probably assumed it was temp controlled. This is a fist for this type failure for me, I plan to start replacing part by part and the card seems most likely a issue. The ps voltage is good and the HD diagnostics just a week ago tested perfect. Everything worked fine except shutdown. Any ideas?

Thanks

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
A burnt out GPU shouldn't cause any motherboard problems. Replace the card and you should be set. If you continue to have problems however, the guys in the Motherboards forum will likely be in a better position to help you since at that point it would cease being a video card problem.

flyted

Dec 6, 2004
I didn't think it would cause problems either, but wasn't sure. I have a AGP 8X 128MB now, but all I need is a cheap PCI or AGP card as I only do surfing and no gaming, plus I don't know if it will fix the issue. Where would be a good place to get a cheap card, I haven't shopped for one in 4 years?

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Have you tried removing the video card and plugging in a PC speaker into your motherboard and listening for diagnostic beeps?