Can u help a newb buy the right machine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ride125

Apr 23, 2015
I'm new to pc gaming and want to buy one but don't know what I'm looking at as far as specs. I'll first list the specs of the 2 computers I'm thinking of buying then the recommended and minimum requirements of the game I want. Plz help. I've been saving and don't want to waste my money.

Computer 1
AMD CUSTOM PC FX 8320 4.1 Ghz Turbo Eight Core Processor (8 Cores)

-- 8 Gigabytes Crucial Ballistic 1600mhz Memory / RAM

-- LG 24X DVDRW / CDRW,

-- 1 terabyte Seagate Hard drive, 7200 rpm for fast access!

-- Onboard video Graphic card : AMD Radeon 7750

-- HDMI, DVI, VGA out puts.

-- Midtower ATX Corsair Case, Dual fans with a 550 Watt Power Supply included!

Plays any games!

Plays DVD/ BLURAY from your EXTERNAL Hard drive or divx format movies you provide the pc!

-- Software bundled with this Brand new PC

-- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit / Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit your choice!

Computer 2
Model:Asus Essentio Desktop PC CM1740
Windows 8.1
1 Terrabyte Hard Disk
8GB Memory
1GB Video card AMD Radeon HD 6550D
AMD A8-3820 Processor APU
64-Bit Operating System

Game requirements
Minimum System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

You already have a thread going in the appropriate forum here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2429193

Please do not cross-post in different forums.

Thank you.

Anandtech Administrator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Neither system meets the minimum video card requirements. Though I suspect that it would still work. If you are on a budget, even if you aren't, you should be able to build a PC yourself that would meet the requirements, and be no more costly.

You should also list the game you are wanting to play. Those recommended and minimum requirements often don't make much sense. Based on the listed recommended systems, the game sounds like it would favor an Nvidia build, but knowing the game would clear that up.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Get the first computer and get a discrete GPU to put in like a 260X or a 270X or something.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Neither, IMO, but the 2nd computer is worse than the 1st. What's the game, and what kind of budget are you looking at?

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
#1 is better, but you'd do better giving us a budget and letting us give you a list of parts, or links to a place that will assemble for you.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
The people that post in this thread, on this forum are the kind to regret buying these types of PC's quickly. This definitely includes you, OP.

Do whatever you have to but do get custom parts in there. If you are absolutely terrified of building your own since you are new, you take a major hit on value. At least bring yourself to learn how to install a video card and consider used ones too.

If I were to build one on a tight budget now:
-Watch the reputable tech forums trading section for deals. Buy the less time sensitive components in advance, for example you can pick up a 2yr old PSU now if you see a deal on it, it won't become obsolete any time soon.

I'm cutting corners on the case, I would look for one locally, shipping costs ruin any possible savings. Refurbished and blemished cases are options too. Hunt down a 7950, 970 is 50% faster but costs three times as much.

Like others noted, your location and selection matter, you'll get more guidance when you answer the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.