Can the Wii play DVDs?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Not DVD-VIDEO, no.

Since they had planned to have the capability but scratched it I wouldn't be surprised if someone found a way to do it, but I really don't care because I don't plan to use it as a DVD player.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Who the hell cares....if someone is going to be purchasing a Wii, chances are (very high) that they not only already own a standalone DVD player, but also 2 or more electronics units that have DVD-playing capabilities....what's one more gonna do for you?

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Juice Box
Who the hell cares....if someone is going to be purchasing a Wii, chances are (very high) that they not only already own a standalone DVD player, but also 2 or more electronics units that have DVD-playing capabilities....what's one more gonna do for you?

The OP does.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Syringer

The OP does.

I don't. DVD are so 2002, most people will be having fun watching thier HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: randay

The OP does.

I don't. DVD are so 2002, most people will be having fun watching thier HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays.

Define "most." Is 10-15% "most"? "Most" people won't have TVs worth watching HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs on for a few years still.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003

The OP does.

touche Sr. Spider

:p:evil:

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
When companies try to cram too many different functions into hardware, the hardware usually ends up sucking at all of them. I'm glad that Nintendo didn't try to make the Wii some kind of magic "all-in-one" box. Then it would cost $600 instead of $250...

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
I love it how the zealots have to defend every comment made that could potentially tarnish the Wii's reputation.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Vidda
I love it how the zealots have to defend every comment made that could potentially tarnish the Wii's reputation.

Is it REALLY a big deal that the Wii doesn't play DVDs at this point? :roll:

Way to flamebait btw. Ya... this thread stinks of Wii fanboys. :roll:

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
What the heck is wrong with some of you people? If the OP asked then obviously the OP cares. Maybe the OP doesn't have a DVD player, or maybe they have plenty but would like to add another in a game room perhaps. Maybe they just collect DVD players, take them apart and do some kinda tribal dance around the pieces. Who the hell cares why the OP wants to know, it's still a perfectly fine question to ask.

I also find it kinda ironic that some people posting on a computer hardware forum would wonder why someone would want to know the specific details about the product they're buying.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: VanTheMan
When companies try to cram too many different functions into hardware, the hardware usually ends up sucking at all of them. I'm glad that Nintendo didn't try to make the Wii some kind of magic "all-in-one" box. Then it would cost $600 instead of $250...

Yea, making the Wii play DVDs, when it already has an optical drive, is going to push costs up when standalone dvd players manage to cost $50. :disgust:

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Nope, it won't...but seriously, who would want need it to? I've got like 5 different things that can play DVDs by now, aside from my main player. :p

tbike06

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2006
why would you feel that way?

and about the DVD thing, I am a poor college student, and don't have a DVD player, but I might be getting a Wii.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Omegachi
why do i have a feeling that the Wii graphics is going to be a piece of crap?

I'd say it was because of that traumatic brain injury you suffered the other week, but that's me.