Can the PC Power & Cooling 610 power a RX 580?

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
I have a perfectly running PC Power & cooling 610 running for about 10 years. Going very strong, and very quiet.

2 quick questions:
-Does it have an 8pin Power connector for the RX580 video cards?
-Is it enough power?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I suspect nobody is replying because it would be easy enough for you to either open your case and check for the connector, or link to the product page or a review online where we could see this info.

Similarly you can look up the TDP of the RX5800, divide that by 12 since it runs off the 12V rail, then see how many amps the PSU has available on its video card connector or if shared 12V rails, how many amps total compared to the sum of the video card plus the rest of the system.

However you wrote cardS, plural. If you mean more than one card you would obviously need to double the amperage allowance.

If your PSU is the old Silencer 610 model, it appears to have a single, 49A, 12V rail. RX580 video card has a TDP of about 185W which divided by 12 is 15.4A, subtracted from 49A, yes if the rest of your system is typical then your PSU is adequate for a single RX580, possibly two of them but it would be a lot closer to its limits.

On the other hand, some people would advise you not to risk a system on a 10 year old PSU, that it is old enough that it is due to be retired. Personally, I like to run equipment as long as I can and would use it but only after checking the fan for smooth operation and cleaning the dust out and while open, examining it for burst capacitors and not using it if any are failing.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
yea i'm thinkings its fine too, the 49a 12v rail on this psu is crazy and i never pushed this PSU so its been runing on low power for majority of its life. Fan is still working good too.

Is PCPC still the top dog these days in terms of PSU options? i know seasonic is a close second...

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Top dog is a fleeting idea, many PSU these days are quite adequate for their ratings, but historically few have been designed for long term use like PCP&C. Today, reviewers would probably look down upon it for group regulation and say "some dissimilar load can be a problem" because it's hard to have a generic applies to all review and not mention outliers.

SO, I don't think there is a top dog these days like back then, rather there are design trade offs at any price point. The topic is far too broad to summarize in a single forum post.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is PCPC still the top dog these days in terms of PSU options? i know seasonic is a close second...

They were sold a couple times, so they aren't what they once were.

I personally consider Seasonic the " top dog" in today's market with their Prime units (especially the titanium rated units). They are one of the very few PSU companies that design, manufacture, and sell their own units. They also make units for quite a few of other brands. Most companies that sell power supplies have other OEMs make them. Well-known brands like EVGA and Corsair don't make any of their own units (along with smaller companies like Be Quiet, Antec, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, etc).

That said, the Super Flower made EVGA units are really good as well (I would personally rate them as #2), as well Channel Well made Corsair units (like the RMx series). FSP is another manufacturer that makes units for other companies, while also offering a few units under their name as well.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
yea i'm thinkings its fine too, the 49a 12v rail on this psu is crazy and i never pushed this PSU so its been runing on low power for majority of its life. Fan is still working good too.

IIRC, PCP&C was never "top dog."l Unlike Seasonic, PCP&C (now OCZ...or did they get sold again?) didn't actually make their own PSU's...but rather just rebranded other company's units...much like the rest of the name brands. (Corsair, Thermaltake, EVGA, etc.) Seasonic is actually a manufacturer of PSU's. They build units for their own branding as well as for several other companies.

Seems like, if memory serves, PCP&C made some decent PSU's...and some not so great ones as well

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ PCP&C could arguably have been called top dog (ignoring premium workstation/industrial brands like ACBel, Delta, etc) but this was long ago, around the turn of the century, and it depends on your critera as they were some of the most expensive and they made little to no effort to make them quiet, which at the time of less efficient PSU with smaller 80mm rear exhaust fans, wasn't really a bad thing, but then they released the Silencer series which did not maintain the lead they had earlier.

Here are a couple PSU reviews, not the best reviews but still online 16 years later where you can see the Seasonic of the era was nothing special while the PCP&C was much better. They just priced them too high ($189 for the one in the review) for most people to be exposed to them except that Dell used them in their better tier systems for a while before then, but that might have also been the era when Dell was using non-standard ATX pinout on their PSU from both PCP&C and another brand I can't recall.

Ironically the review states the Nidec fan in the PCP&C was quiet but that was not the case once they got nearer max output, is why they released a Silencer line.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=774
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1399

They were both expensive for their era, back then a better value was something like an Antec P303 which also is nothing special (terrible) by modern standards but PSU designs have necessarily come a long way since then.

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I ordered a PCPC 610 in Sept 2007 direct from them and have been running it in about everything built since then. Sad what happened to the company.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I have had a PC Power &Cooling PSU since the year I joined these forums! It is still running strong with no degredation in the Caps or voltage!!

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
update: looking for a new PSU. Waiting for a deal on the Seasonic Focus line of PSUs.

Will the seasonic Focus 550w be good enough? or should i opt for 650/750W so that i can be more in the middle wattage "efficient zone"?

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
update: looking for a new PSU. Waiting for a deal on the Seasonic Focus line of PSUs.

Will the seasonic Focus 550w be good enough? or should i opt for 650/750W so that i can be more in the middle wattage "efficient zone"?

I would spend the money on a nice Platinum rated PSU at this point, if you have the budget.

Refurb Corsair AXi series are easy to find, and, they get a year warranty.

Link below for info only, those are new price.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...upply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020036-NA

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/HXi_vs_AXi

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Long time, but i've been out of the game for a while.

Back to my last post since i've upgraded my system (in signature) to the AMD Rx580, i've been experiencing loss of picture for 2-5 seconds then back on while playing CS GO. I can't play competitive like this!!!! my teammates keep kicking me!
Think its a psu problem? If so, would a Seasonic Focus 750FX be a good psu? https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2017/07/10/seasonic-focus-plus-750-gold-750w-power-supply/
PSU is from 2017 tho... its on sale on Newegg now w/ a $15 rebate.
Current PSU is a 10 year old PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
I doubt it's psu related. It might be driver or video card related. If you take a look in event viewer > system you can check if a driver crashed and succesfully restarted. I've had that happen once in a while on my rx480. Try updating your graphics driver to a newer version (or older if you just updated them).

I know windows 10 has randomly windows updated me to some super old drivers on my rx480 computer... which resulted in tons of black screening on nier automata.

Fwiw my computer's running a 10 year old corsair vx450, so maybe the psu does have something to do with it, hah...

Last edited: