Can someone please explain to me how being a prisoner of war for five years

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Can one of you explain that to me? I keep hearing this talked about constantly and if anything, I would think that it would hinderhis ability to lead. Suffering all of that mental trauma does not a good president make.

This question is NOT about Barack Obama, so don't even bother bringing it up :)

It doesn't, but it speaks volumes about his personal integrity (though NOT necessarily his subsequent judgement -- just saying.)

He honorably withstood torture. To give short shrift to this is not to understand what he went through.

He plays it up in the same way any candidate for President plays up anything that might sway the minds of any of the potential voters.

We are free to give this only the consideration that it deserves.

But, personally, he withstood this, and it was not a small thing.
Did some alien invade your body??

I actually agree with you for once.

Being a POW does not make you qualified to be President, but it says a LOT about your character. Especially the part where he refused a chance to go home.

Compare that to John Kerry who got three purple hearts, for scratches, and then immediately put in paper work to get himself sent home.

When Kerry came out on stage and saluted the crowd and said "reporting for duty" the crowd went nuts. Imagine the reaction by Democrats and the left if McCain did the same thing.
ahhh yes, who will win this battle....Kerry vs McCain! An epic election to say the least!

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Druidx
In reply to the topic.
"Can someone please explain to me how being a prisoner of war for five years qualifies John McCain to be the president"

Can someone please show me where anyone makes the claim that being a prisoner of war for five years qualifies John McCain to be the president.
If not, what's the point of the topic?

Should 5 years of his life be skipped over because some of you are so offended by his sacrifice in the pursuit of civic duty? Are you offend by it or simply can't understand it. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why you would have a problem with McCain's commitment to America while Obama has "A non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA"

Troll.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
He's qualified to be president because he meets the requirments of the Constituition, end of story. The military experience without bailing just helps to build his character that he is behind our country.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Can one of you explain that to me? I keep hearing this talked about constantly and if anything, I would think that it would hinderhis ability to lead. Suffering all of that mental trauma does not a good president make.

This question is NOT about Barack Obama, so don't even bother bringing it up :)

Besides a sympathy vote what else is there? His fits of anger, memory loss?