Can someone Help me OverClock???

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
Let me start by saying,
I am disabled and suffer form sever pain for the last five years and have a hard time reading for very long now I have nothing but time to kill...

I have tried reading
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.7

And I really appreciate the writer who to the time to write it but its is killing me with all the facts I could care less about...

Is there a guide thats short and sweet with out all the Missing Intel docs telling me more volts is heat and all the other tech stuff..

I have OCed Atholn XP chip 5 years back by unlocking the chip with window heater repair glue, by scratching the chip face and bridging 4-5 nubs with the glue..

I understand I think I need to raise the FSB and adjust my Vcore and out V's to get stable...

I mean I really tried reading this thread five times and I just cant find the part where he says what to change to over clock a locked chip.......

I'm really sorry for asking this but this distresses me I can read more than 10mins at a time these days unless it C: DOS > C: DOS Run > Run DOS Run and when I think it should be shorter and to the point it just worse for me...

I wish there was a breif overview, then The Contents for dummies like me...

Thanks Again..

an51r

Feb 5, 2008
Uhm overclocking is no longer a physical change, it is all done within BIOS. I assume as you have built a PC you are familiar with the bios, in your advanced bios options there are settings you need to adjust, your FSB and with a higher FSB you will most likely need more voltage to keep it stable and that as well is available in your BIOS.

Your best bet is small incremental increases and stability testing if you are impatient or have trouble sitting for a while I would stay away from overclocking.

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
Thanks
I just tried from 200 FSB to 207 and it worked fine..
I'll start playing from there..

I still have a P4 in here as my E7400 doesnt get here till tomorrow :)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: rarebear

And I really appreciate the writer who to the time to write it but its is killing me with all the facts I could care less about...

If you dont understand that guide, you arent ready. I really wouldnt recommend anyone helping you until you have a specific question.

It is people who dont read and understand that give OCing a bad name when something goes wrong.

polarbear6

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2008
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

If you dont understand that guide, you arent ready. I really wouldnt recommend anyone helping you until you have a specific question.

It is people who dont read and understand that give OCing a bad name when something goes wrong.

well no offense but the tutorial has too much detail
like whats tj max whats a sychronous mode

i do agree that the people who are getting started need to know that, to understand how hot there cpu is getting

but people usually get impatient when they dont understand what they are reading(well i do and it usually biases me against the thing iam reading) so if we help these kinda of people ,
the whole oc concept will get a good name
:p

so rare bear as long as u dont have a intel original board(pardon me if i am wrong) u dont have to unlock anything
just up the fsb and see if u get struck if u do up the vcore and do run stability tests(must!!)

and always see to that the core temps(not real temps) are always below 65c(better)
do this and then read the tutorial u will understand it better :p cheers and happy overclocking

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
The reason for knowing all that stuff is so that when your overclock fails you will know why it failed, and hence, what to fix.

More than likely, you will reach a limit when you start raising the FSB. Knowing what failed will allow you to overclock further. For example, when you raise the FSB, in synchronous mode, you are also raising the memory speed. So, when your overclock fails, was it the CPU that couldn't go higher, or the memory that couldn't go higher? If it's the memory that failed, no amount of added CPU voltage is going to fix that problem. See? When you reach an OC limit, you have to know what is causing the limit.

There are many, many "secrets" about overclocking to be discovered. They are all covered in the overclocking guides. The more sophisticated a guide is and the better you understand it, the more successful you will be (ie, the higher the performance you'll eventually get).

The best overclocking advice I ever got was "He who tries the most goes the fastest."

Good luck...........

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Thanks For the Help.........

NOT!

OK then here is the "Short and sweet" guide:

Raise your FSB to reach desired clock speed.

It is really that simple to OC on 775 Intel chips.

Now having it be stable and within spec is a different story, which is what we were trying to tell you.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
This person is obviously ungrateful, immature, and lacks the attention span required for overclocking. It's a painstaking process to get significant gains and stable performance, and if you're not willing to read thoughtfully-written guides and do some research, you can just stay at stock or try your luck and hope you don't damage anything.

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
This person is obviously lacks the attention span required

Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!!

Seems some of y'all can read and understand the words I posted in the first paragraph....

Maybe someday when you have been disable for more than five years you might really get it......

How many of you all that think I need to read every detail know how to unlock a Athlon XP chip????????????

You all may think overclocking is a life style for everyone but its not everyones cup of tea some folks just would like to squeeze a little more juice out of there Box without becoming and expert..

I would like to thank the OP (original Poster) of the OC thread AGAIN for taking the time to write it as I said before becuse some people just dont understand clear and simple english and I want to be clear on this......

That takes care of ungrateful........

Am I immature MAYBE !!!!!!!!!!
I do know I dont have Patients but I do have a whole lot of pain everyday......

I think I have what I need, I just need to read now Voltage and Stability and get my volts as low as I can go then come up one point or two..

Thanks to those answered my request......

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Not all of us want to overclock to 1 gazillion gigahertz though, i'm buying an E8400 and only want to O/C to 3.6 Ghz... is it really necessary to go over every bit of minutia in order to O/C this thing? Not all of us are extreme O/Cers... i think the OP has a point to some respect

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I'll make this short and sweet and simple. This will be far from the most accurate way to do it, but it should be pretty easy to follow. Raise CPU vCore to 1.34 or so. NB volts to 1.3v. Lock PCI-e at 100mhz. Slowly raise FSB by 10mHz every time til you get a satisfactory overclock. On my e7200 these voltages were enough for about 3.7gHz. Once you get where you want be, check for stability using prime95 (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103) if this can run the blend test for 24 hours without failing, it's stable. Once you get at the clock you want, slowly lower the vCore until it fails to boot. From there raise it by .04, and test again for stability. If its stable here, leave it. If it isnt, up vCore another .o1 until it is stable

I wouldn't take it past 3.6, until you learn more ;)

rarebear

Dec 11, 2000
Thanks Much,
I was just looking for someone to comfirm what I thought...

I too am just looking for a little boost in power..

Thanks Again...