Can someone give me a example of Marxism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatecrasher3

Oct 15, 2004
Can anyone think of a example of Marxism that has happened recently?
I have to bring in a news article of an example of Marxism into class tonight but i can not think of anything.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Marxism didn't even exist when Marx was alive. You're going to have a rough time of it.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Gatecrasher3
this is what i ended up using.
link
uhh, that one is not gonna work... I expect that you'll probably fail the assignment.

The meer mention of "poverty" does not Marxism make. See Yllus' response below.

slash196

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
You'd be hard-pressed to find any examples of true Marxist policies being carried out, but if its class conflict you're looking for, all you need to do is open your eyes and look at the country. A great majority of the issues in politics today are created, directly or indirectly, from class conflict.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Dude, didn't you just pick the exact opposite of class conflict? Serving in the military to qualify under the G.I. Bill is like the opposite of that - it's making use of one of the U.S.'s smartest pieces of legislation to enable social class mobility.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
I'm curious why you equate Marxism with class conflict. From my own understanding sociology works on two opposing views of society: functionalism and conflict-theory. If you're looking for an example to support conflict-theory, you would want something that shows an economically deprived class, and then show that this class would provide a greater benefit to society as a whole if it were not economically deprived. How far does one need to look?

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Well, I'm no expert in the current definition of Marxism, but I have read "The Communist Manefesto" which Marx wrote and its all about class struggle. Also its important to note that he considers it inevitable that the works will end up controlling the means of production. And probably most importantly he believed that this can only be achieved through war. I usually consider that fact that a violent overthrow is needed to be the unique part of Marx's philosophy.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Gatecrasher3
this is what i ended up using.
link
uhh, that one is not gonna work... I expect that you'll probably fail the assignment.

The meer mention of "poverty" does not Marxism make. See Yllus' response below.

Yeah... While there is a general issue with the military having a large number of those with little means, it isn't exactly a good thing for the OP, at least to me. It also isn't exactly a bad thing either. Issues with Iraq aside, the military is a great boost for the exceedingly broke (the benefits can really help fix their humble beginings).

If you want a class issue, why not just go with the economy? It is largely driven by people with massive amounts of wealth, while the actual average income has not gone up in over five years, while the cost of everything has.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: BrownTown
And probably most importantly he believed that this can only be achieved through war. I usually consider that fact that a violent overthrow is needed to be the unique part of Marx's philosophy.

not really.

that was more of a stalinist / facist thing.

Gulmina

Jan 24, 2016
As a student of IR one havto pretend as marxist,cap,liberalist and so onnn . Examples of marxism in today life is rich getting richer and poor getting poor, also third world countries in relation with west was predicted by marx that dependencia will give rise to core and peripheries and that capitalism will result in to problem of over production and underconsumption like today we have 5 star hotels and on other side ethiopia where there is no concept of clean water.
Hope it helped!

---

Hi,

Welcome to AnandTech Forums. I locked the thread because the previous reply was over nine years ago.

Our members refer to such posts as "necro" posts, and some of them tend to post replies ranging from sarcastic to hostile, including possible accusations of spamming, whether warranted or not.

You are welcome to continue posting on our forums. Thanks for understanding. We hope you enjoy yourself on our forums. :)

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator/Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Come on! It's a 10 year old thread about someone's homework that I can only assume a bot necro'd!

Yeah my bad I didn't even look.

Seems we have a lot of first posters these days do that.

Had been doing other things on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.