Can someone explain this product description?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I have run into this monitor which has great specs and a price.

MicroBoard R270IPS 27" 2560X1440 LG IPS Glare QHD Monitor

It seems to check all the right boxes (LG IPS, 2K, 5 ms, 380 cd/m², etc etc) so I was excited until I read the following:

* Port converter CANNOT be used. (D-sub, HDMI, DP converter)
DVI-D(Dual Link): YES / DVI-D(Single Link): NO

** These monitors are NOT compatible with Laptops and Mac computers. Internal GPU, APU and Low profile GPU are not compatible.

2. Use of cable converter, extender, or gender may render the monitor unable to display images normally.
We recommend using the cable that we include in the package.

The display accepts VGA signal but not single-link DVI? What kind of technical barrier blocks the use of port converter, which I assume to be adapters? Why the incompatibility with low-profile video cards or iGPUs?

I am not complaining about the products, but rather want to know why this kind of limits are imposed because I have not know them before.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
I don't see why it wouldn't work with those assuming they still support DL-DVI. SL-DVI doesn't support 2560x1440 iirc, it maxes at 1920x1200 or so?

Specs @ newegg says it supports DL-DVI, HDMI and Displayport.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
It is odd because I wonder what the VGA input will do on that 1440p. Since VGA maxes out at 1080p (or 1200p), the output should be letterboxed or PIP'ed, right?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i would never buy a monitor that doesnt support the full specs on its ports. There is no reason why a HDMI or DP port should not be able to accept a input from a APU or IGP. Thats just ridicules.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Yah. Kind of dodgy stuff but the whole chain of sale is a bit of a risk anyway when it comes to these cheap Korean monitors with some serious specs. I was initially checking out this monitor and happened to see the 27" one in the page. I thought those system requirements were quite unusual because it is not immediately clear what the technical underpinnings of such limitation.