Can someone explain how trading works in the new GC game: "Animal Crossing"?

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Can anyone explain this to me? Not the steps on how to do it in the game, but rather, the general idea of how it works. I'm just confused since no internet/online connection is needed. You just get a code and type it in and you receive an item.

I'm thinking that since you need to get the person's Name/Town, the code generated incorporates that into the string of letters/numbers. So if the person's info was John/Funtown, and someone w/ another name like Jill/Funcity got a hold of that code and tried to use it, it wouldn't work, since she's not John/Funtown.

But let's say I know of two people that have the same Name/Town (e.g. Joe/USA). Could I essentially give both of them the same code and they would each receive an item?

Thanks for any help.

HD

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I always wondered this also. I can't find any realistic standard for it. I've read plenty of reviews but I still don't get it. =P I'ts a pretty good game but I dont' have the time for it nor any friends with it, so I think I'm going to return to EB for credit and wait for Mario Party 4. =D

WhiteWonder

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
i don't have the game, but to trade, i think you have to save your guy on a memory card, then go into your friends town on his gamecube and take what you want.

but then again, i have never played the game, i'v just read a review, so if it sounds like i don't know what i'm talking about, i don't.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Dang, already a Mario party 4? crazy....

yeah i'm trying to find a good deal on Animal Crossing....i keep reading about it and it makes me want to buy it more and more...

as if Smash bro. melee and WC3 don't take enough time out of my life as it is...:p

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: WhiteWonder
i don't have the game, but to trade, i think you have to save your guy on a memory card, then go into your friends town on his gamecube and take what you want.

but then again, i have never played the game, i'v just read a review, so if it sounds like i don't know what i'm talking about, i don't.

No, there is a way to trade w/o the means of taking out the mem pack and putting it in another GCN. AC will generate a code which you give to the other person and they punch it in and boom, new item for them.

WhiteWonder

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Originally posted by: HonkeyDonk
Dang, already a Mario party 4? crazy....

yeah i'm trying to find a good deal on Animal Crossing....i keep reading about it and it makes me want to buy it more and more...

as if Smash bro. melee and WC3 don't take enough time out of my life as it is...:p

i want to get Animal Crossing, but i don't have a gamecube...

DogFromDuckhunt

Dec 15, 2001
Okay, say my name in the game is "DFDH" and my town name is "Town1". The person I'm sending to is "Donk" from town name "Honkey". I go to nook's shop (you'll learn who that is if you get the game) and I talk to him ... then tell him I want to send an item. I then pick the item and enter YOUR name of "Donk" and town name of "Honkey" (again, it has to be PERFECT, spaces and everything - if there are any) it gives me a code and it takes my item. Then you go to Nooks in your game and "tell" him the code by typing it in ... and presto you get the item.

Yes, I think you can enter the code more than once (CHEATER!!!) but it because of the way it's set up if I enter your name one letter off ... hell anything off by one then the item is lost in never never land forever :p.

<edit: to send something to me you'd do the same thing .. but to DFDH in town Town1. It's really easy...>

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DogFromDuckhunt
Okay, say my name in the game is "DFDH" and my town name is "Town1". The person I'm sending to is "Donk" from town name "Honkey". I go to nook's shop (you'll learn who that is if you get the game) and I talk to him ... then tell him I want to send an item. I then pick the item and enter YOUR name of "Donk" and town name of "Honkey" (again, it has to be PERFECT, spaces and everything - if there are any) it gives me a code and it takes my item. Then you go to Nooks in your game and "tell" him the code by typing it in ... and presto you get the item.

Yes, I think you can enter the code more than once (CHEATER!!!) but it because of the way it's set up if I enter your name one letter off ... hell anything off by one then the item is lost in never never land forever :p.

<edit: to send something to me you'd do the same thing .. but to DFDH in town Town1. It's really easy...>

Thats instructions on how to do it, but how does it actually work. I can see how it could disappear on the senders side because they would just remove the item once sent, but how does on actually recieve. How does the reciever get the item? :confused: How would it distinguish what item it is and all, I mean it can't be some random item... it's going to be the exact item that the person sent.. how does that happen? :p

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Since the codes are something long like:

qewx3ur2poiuwfd398 (i dunno, something like that)

and lets say the name/town was John/USA and the item was an apple. I guess the code would have apple (or some code representing apple) mixed in to the long string of alphanumerics, and the name John/USA is also "encoded" into the string.

So when the receiver types this long code in...the Gamecube will scan the letters and read the encoded message for apple, and the encoded message of John/USA to make sure its for him.

Again, thats how I think it works...but i'm probably wrong.