Can someone explain "ghosting" to me

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I'm trying to figure out if my monitor has ghosting problems or not, i think it does but i'm not actually sure what ghosting is. Could someone explain or link to a page that explains it? Also, Is there any way to fix it?

mOeeOm

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
This affects LCD monitors, in fast paced games like first person shooter, when you move around, the LCD can't keep up and it leaves a trail behind, like move your hand infront of you very fast and you will see the trail, thats what ghosting is.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I'm having that problem, but with a CRT. It's possible with CRT monitors as well, right?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: jacktackle
I'm having that problem, but with a CRT. It's possible with CRT monitors as well, right?

Yes.

In fact 'ghosting' is an incorrect definition of what happens on an LCD -- that's more like 'motion blur'

Real ghosting is on a CRT, and it's when you get a 'shadow' like 'ghost' image offset from the original image. It usually has to do with interference on the monitor cable.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Hrm, is it a fixable thing? I don't think there's any interference, but it's possible i guess. I do have a lot of wires around.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Nice monitor, jacktackle :). You're fine dude, just make sure u got the cable screwed in all the way.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jacktackle
Hrm, is it a fixable thing? I don't think there's any interference, but it's possible i guess. I do have a lot of wires around.

Yes it's fixable - buy a new monitor with a higher response time.

Ghosting on LCD's is caused by the monitor having an inadequate response time for the program/game/video you are running. Typical new monitors have a response time of 8-12ms (I consider anything 16ms or less to be ghosting-free, personally).

Many LCD companies still sell 25ms screens, which are not fast enough to display a perfect, ghost free image all the time.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Not sure what response time my monitor has but it should be fine. Again, it's a CRT monitor.

Definitely has ghosting problems though, maybe i'll just have to try it in a different room.