Can someone briefly explain the Palastine-Israel conflict to me?

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've got an exam on monday so I didn't have the patience to read massively long documents. Without trying to offend anyone, this is what five minutes of Googling gave me:

Lots of people were living in the Palastine area (Muslims?), then the Jews came into the area and tried to claim it as their land in the name of Israel. Palastine fights back. Israel fights back. Rinse and repeat?

My first impression is this is like how the Americans came in and took over (what became) the USA, only in this case the Indians (people of Palastine) have managed to fight back.

I suppose this makes Israel look bad, and I suppose they have a different view.

I'm interested in learning more. I've probably been ignorant of this issue for far too long.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
It all depends on which history books you are reading. I've read lots of Arab history books and their view of history is much different. Not much different than the Japanese version of WWII where we nuc'ed their civilian cities, killing innocent civilians. It's all from the perspective of the person who wrote it.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I've got an exam on monday so I didn't have the patience to read massively long documents. Without trying to offend anyone, this is what five minutes of Googling gave me:

Lots of people were living in the Palastine area (Muslims?), then the Jews came into the area and tried to claim it as their land in the name of Israel. Palastine fights back. Israel fights back. Rinse and repeat?

My first impression is this is like how the Americans came in and took over (what became) the USA, only in this case the Indians (people of Palastine) have managed to fight back.

I'm interested in learning more. I've probably been ignorant of this issue for far too long.

You should dig much further into the involvement of the British in creating the Jewish state after the war, as well as the land acquisitions that grew the state of Israel into what it is today. The religious significance of Jerusalem to both Muslims and Jews is obviously a big factor as well. Your current synopsis is wholly inadequate if you wish to pass.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I tried to take an objective veiw on both sides but I lost all respect when in the middle of a cease-fire and truce talks Palestine sent a suicide bomber into a crowded cafe and killed 15 people. Add to that the countless dumb missles they fire into Israel and you tend to lean to Israels side.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Don't forget that Sirhan Sirhan, the guy that assassinated Bobbie Kennedy is a Palestinian. He's the reason that Nixon was elected.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

How did the Jews get the Holy Land in the 1st place? thought they lost it to the muslims during the Crusades?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
How did the Jews get the Holy Land in the 1st place? thought they lost it to the muslims during the Crusades?

legend has it that jews were kicked out of the holy land by the romans in 70 CE. there were still some hanging around when islam came about and many of them converted (apparently there's genetic evidence that many of the muslims in the area are descended from the jews that lived in the area). iirc, the arabs didn't kick the jews out of the region. and may have welcomed some when isabella was busy kicked jews out of iberia.

anyway, fast forward until the 1800s and many pogroms in europe later, and european jews were looking for a land to be their own, and latched onto the holy land. so jews started emigrating from europe to the holy land. i've read some accounts that there weren't many arabs in the region at the time (the land isn't particularly good for agriculture without modern irrigation, afaik).

so starting about a century ago you had a growing euro-jewish population in the holy land, which after WWI came under british rule after the osmanli empire collapsed. more and more euro jews continued to move to the holy land during the first half of the 20th century due to events in europe (holocaust, russian purges, etc). there was growing jewish - muslim violence during this time period, strikes, riots, etc.

anyway, the british mandate expired in 1948, the jews declared their own state, neighboring arab states invaded, the jews defeated them and took territory, and no one has been satisfied since.

Last edited:

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001

Two (2) parties are fighting over the same patch of dirt.

End of story ...

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Once upon a time, there were various peoples living in what is present-day Palestine. As with the Amish, who are all fucking related to each other, but have split-up into different Amish communities, some of whom really don't like each other and have disputes. Some of them don't even consider other Amish groups to be Amish. These schisms and branching happened among the Amish only in the course of 250 years. Imagine what can happen over 1000+ years. Then not more than 3000 years ago, one of the Semitic 'group-communities' got their own monotheistic religion. The End.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I tried to take an objective veiw on both sides but I lost all respect when in the middle of a cease-fire and truce talks Palestine sent a suicide bomber into a crowded cafe and killed 15 people. Add to that the countless dumb missles they fire into Israel and you tend to lean to Israels side.

Israel called a three hour truce so Egyptian representatives could travel safely and Hamas ignored it. Hamas also involved Jerusalem, and Israel has called up 75k reservists, making a ground action a real possibility. It's past the election and Hamas decided to play. Sadly a lot of people are likely to get hurt.more

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Both cultures were promised the same land by their respective gods (the same god, actually), so for thousands of years they have hated each other.

The end.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
legend has it that jews were kicked out of the holy land by the romans in 70 CE. there were still some hanging around when islam came about and many of them converted (apparently there's genetic evidence that many of the muslims in the area are descended from the jews that lived in the area). iirc, the arabs didn't kick the jews out of the region. and may have welcomed some when isabella was busy kicked jews out of iberia.

anyway, fast forward until the 1800s and many pogroms in europe later, and european jews were looking for a land to be their own, and latched onto the holy land. so jews started emigrating from europe to the holy land. i've read some accounts that there weren't many arabs in the region at the time (the land isn't particularly good for agriculture without modern irrigation, afaik).

so starting about a century ago you had a growing euro-jewish population in the holy land, which after WWI came under british rule after the osmanli empire collapsed. more and more euro jews continued to move to the holy land during the first half of the 20th century due to events in europe (holocaust, russian purges, etc). there was growing jewish - muslim violence during this time period, strikes, riots, etc.

anyway, the british mandate expired in 1948, the jews declared their own state, neighboring arab states invaded, the jews defeated them and took territory, and no one has been satisfied since.

THANK YOU

caps

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
1. The area was controlled by the British, much like India, South Africa, and Canada were at one time. Arabs were the people living on that land.
2. The state of Israel was created, and control was handed over to the Jews. Many Arabs were kicked off the land.
3. Surrounding Arab countries attacked Israel so Arabs could go back to their homes.
4. Israel and its allies won that war and all of the following wars.
5. Arab countries do not officially recognize Israel as a country because it's basically a piece of land that was stolen, similar to how Germans controlled the French territory of Alsace-Lorraine between the Franco-Prussian war and WW1.
6. In response to Arabs not recognizing Israel as a state, Israel and the US refuse to allow the creation of Palestine, a new Arab state.

Think of it like if China occupied California, and they changed the name of California to Chinrael. The Californians living in California would be kick out, and they would move to the nearby states like Nevada. A bunch of Chinese would move to Chinrael, and the UN would accept Chinrael as a new country. The surrounding states of Nevada and New Mexico would attack Chinrael to kick the Chinese out, but Chinrael successfully defends the land because they are backed by the huge army of China. Since military action failed, the ejected Californians would resort to terrorism and doing things like suicide-bombing buses in Chinrael. In retaliation to the Californian suicide bombers, Chinrael would launch military retaliation attacks against settlements of Californians living along the Nevada-California border.

The obvious solution to the problem of Chinrael would be to abolish the state and have the Chinese go back to China, but anyone speaking out against Chinrael is called a racist.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
One land, two people, and lots of blood.

We've been fighting over Jerusalem since the Crusades.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Anyone got pics of what the rocket launch sites look like on the Gaza side?

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
b61582a7da10.jpg

THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
it's actually really scary, i can see a lot of real pressure put on the usa to pick sides.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
also, which city is supposed to be marched on by a 1,000,000 man army only to bring about the apocolypse?