Can somebody confirm my mobo is indeed hosed?

chodenode

Jul 6, 2007
So this is my first post on this login. I used to have one here, but I can't remember the password and I don't have the e-mail I registered with anymore. Obviously its been a while since I've posted on this board I guess.

History:
While I was the primary user, very rarely the hard drives wouldn't wake up.
While my wife has been the primary user, she sometimes ran into problems with spontaneous restarts/shutdowns.

Current problem: Computer powers up, fans spin up, but no display, no beep, no POST.

I had the motherboard tested at a local shop and they did a $10 test. When I first talked to the guy at the shop, he said their standard $10 test is just plugging it in and seeing if it works. I asked that in the case of motherboards, would that include seeing if it POST's. He said yes. They tested only the board with none of my other components. I'm curious if they just see if it turns things on and leave it at that. I can't see that they'd lie to me because then they could sell me something, but anyway...

I went to a friend's house who has a computer of similar configuration. Same socket/chipset machine. We tried the following, each with the individual step being the only difference from original configurations. All of this was done on a wood surface.

My configuration: Motherboard, Processor, AGP card, 1 512MB DIMM, power supply, case
His configuration: Motherboard, processor, AGP card, 2 512MB DIMM's, two IDE lines connected (2 HD's, 2 optical drives - all on PATA), power supply, case

Plugged my CPU/headsink onto his motherboard - powered up, got to desktop
Plugged my power supply onto his board - POST'ed fine (we didn't wait to get to desktop) and gave a display
Put my RAM onto his board - POST'ed fine and gave a display
Plugged my AGP card into his machine - POST'ed fine and gave a display.
Took the power switch wire from my case and plugged it onto his board - POST'ed fine and gave a display
Plugged his AGP card onto my machine - powered on, no beep, no display
Plugged his power supply into my my machine - powered on, no beep, no display
Put his RAM into my machine - powered on, no beep, no display
Swapped batteries for CMOS - mine: powered on, no beep, no display; his: POST'ed fine, gave message about no date (obviously expected), but otherwise fine
Took his power switch wire from his case and plugged it onto my board - powered on, no beep, no display

It has to be the board. I don't see how it could be anything else. The only thing from my computer that remained constant throughout the test on the failing machine was the mobo. Can anybody else think of something I missed?

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
sounds pretty old, I'd say you're right on the money about the mobo
don't waste any more time & money, and just get one of those PC hot deals (eg: the $200 compaq)