Can Razer fix a Razer phone if the warranty is void?

Abu Ghraib Al Forchani

Apr 27, 2019
Like if you pay them enough?

I made a thread earlier describing how I wanted to open up the phone and add thermal grizzly kryonaut everywhere. So I did. But when I was putting the phone back together I saw a spark on the top right of the motherboard and this paper metal shielding (held with tweezers in picture) melted:
Screenshot_20190504-122723.png
Now the top speaker and the camera flash no longer work!!!

What seems to be the problem? I checked the motherboard underneath the burn location and I couldn't see any damage. Is it possible it's just some short? Does the whole motherboard need to be replaced? And more importantly does Razer fix it without warranty or do they just tell you tough luck buy another phone?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Honestly, are these joke threads? Where did the idea come from that thermal paste spread 'everywhere' would have any positive effect what-so-ever?

A tiny BEAD of thermal paste belongs between a heatsink held tightly to a metal CPU casing.

Just spreading it on things willy-nilly actually has the opposite effect as heat disapation... that's why you don't use too much of it even in its intended use.

If this is actually serious, you seem to have found another thing its not actually meant to do... shorting out components it has no business being on.

Reactions: WelshBloke

Abu Ghraib Al Forchani

Apr 27, 2019
Honestly, are these joke threads? Where did the idea come from that thermal paste spread 'everywhere' would have any positive effect what-so-ever?

A tiny BEAD of thermal paste belongs between a heatsink held tightly to a metal CPU casing.

Just spreading it on things willy-nilly actually has the opposite effect as heat disapation... that's why you don't use too much of it even in its intended use.

If this is actually serious, you seem to have found another thing its not actually meant to do... shorting out components it has no business being on.
I got the idea from Linus tech tips. I put thermal paste between the copper spreader and the chip, and between the copper spreader and the heatpipe. In addition, something Linus didn't do, I put some paste between the back of the chip and the top metal backplate of the phone, so heat would dissipate to the who chassis.

Fyi if you do drench the whole board with thermal paste, it's still actually better than just leaving an air gap.

Now the phone gets just as hot as before but it doesn't throttle a single frame, even when both CPU and GPU are maxed out at the same time. And the battery seems to last much longer under load.

I just don't know what on Earth caused that damn smoke to come out. I was as gentle with the chip as a gemcutter with a diamond.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I made a thread earlier describing how I wanted to open up the phone and add thermal grizzly kryonaut everywhere. So I did.

What now? Really?

But when I was putting the phone back together I saw a spark on the top right of the motherboard and this paper metal shielding....
Now the top speaker and the camera flash no longer work!!!

I am shocked this led to a problem. Shocked I say! Did you take pictures of this process? I'd very much like to see them if you did.

If they do fix it, and they probably will if you throw enough money at them, it's going to be expensive. Lesson would be smartphones arent meant to be opened up and modified.

Reactions: Zaap