Can peach schnapps ever deteriorate because of time?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
If I keep an unopened bottle for 15 years and open it, will it be as good as when it was first purchased?

Mar 10, 2005
if it's kept out of the light, especially in a dark bottle, it should be fine. only wine continues activity after bottling.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
if it's kept out of the light, especially in a dark bottle, it should be fine. only wine continues activity after bottling.

Continues what?

And you're wrong. Some beers are bottle conditioned.

Mar 10, 2005
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

Continues what?

continues fermentation, flavoring, or other chemical changes intended as maturity. especially something like schnapps - not exactly centuries old craftsmanship like decent wine or brown liquor.

can you tell me more about these bottle-conditioned beers?

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

Continues what?

continues fermentation, flavoring, or other chemical changes intended as maturity. especially something like schnapps - not exactly centuries old craftsmanship like decent wine or brown liquor.

That would require the bottle to contain yeast and sugar which would clearly be visible as sediment in the bottle.

That's exactly what a bottle conditioned beer is.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I have thrown away stuff like schnapps because it developed little wisps of dark discoloration. I assumed it was mold and pitched it, but we are talking maybe 5-10 years here.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
FWIW, when i make homemade liquors, they have a peak of flavor around 2 1/2 to 3 years. after that the flavor gets weaker/less pleasant. These bottles are capped so its not air infiltration.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Squisher
I have thrown away stuff like schnapps because it developed little wisps of dark discoloration. I assumed it was mold and pitched it, but we are talking maybe 5-10 years here.
This bottle is far out of style and has crazy dust on it. I don't know how old it is.

The style of price sticker still on it reminds me of the ones used in the early 90s.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
What % alcohol is it? Most things 80 proof or more have very long shelf lives. Another thing is just how airtight is the seal. Even a little bit of leakage will allow alcohol to evaporate out over such a long period, but you can probably spot this by seeing how full the bottle is.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Err, you are the cooking guy and you are asking this kind of question?

Videotape you drinking it and stream to a friend so he can post it for you sine you will not be in condition to :)

Joking aside, snapps should be good for a long time, assuming it is unopened. 15 might be pushing it though since oxidation would have definitely got to it.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Your question is fundamentally flawed in that it implies that peach schnapps is good to begin with!

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: DnetMHZ
Your question is fundamentally flawed in that it implies that peach schnapps is good to begin with!
Do you know what deteriorate means?

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Howard
Originally posted by: DnetMHZ
Do you know what deteriorate means?

Yes, it's what this thread is about to do ;)

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000

Continues what?

google then wiki can -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_conditioned

"Filtered beer tends to have a relatively short shelf life, rarely more than a year, as many compounds in the sterile beverage break down into unpleasant tasting ones. Live yeast inside the bottle acts against these processes, giving the beverage a much longer shelf life. A good bottle conditioned beer can maintain its drinkability for many years, and some can be aged for decades"

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Turin39789
google then wiki can -

"Filtered beer tends to have a relatively short shelf life, rarely more than a year, as many compounds in the sterile beverage break down into unpleasant tasting ones. Live yeast inside the bottle acts against these processes, giving the beverage a much longer shelf life. A good bottle conditioned beer can maintain its drinkability for many years, and some can be aged for decades"
Westmalle Triple is absolutely heavenly. Good choice for the picture in the article.:thumbsup:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
From the web

I tell people all the time, Liquor doesn't exactly have a "Shelf-life", it has more like a "Half-life". All the aging and maturing is done after the Distillation and Filtering processes and, once bottled, it is considered to be a finished product. It won't mature in the bottle like some wines, and it won't go "bad" like most Beers. As long as you keep it from extreme heat and cold it'll be drinkable long after we're both gone.

For example, if you have a bottle of 17 year old Glen Rothe's Scotch and you shelve it for 20 years, you will not end up with a 37 year old Scotch. What you'll end up with is a 20 year old bottle of 17 year old Glen Rothe's Scotch. It won't age or improve in any way, but it should be just as good as it was when it was bottled. (BTW, Glen Rothe's is one of my favorite Scotches)

On the other hand, Liqueurs/Cordials aren't quite as hearty as your other Distilled Spirits. Most start as a Brandy and get flavors added. Others are what they are; ie: Amaretto.

If these are exposed to exteme heat or cold they will be affected in a bad way. The sugars in them will crystalize and settle to the bottom of the bottle. This takes a lot of the body and flavor of the liqueur with it. You'll know if this has happened by looking at a light through the bottom of the bottle. You will be able to see the crystalized sugars if they are there. And no matter what you try to do, you cannot re-constitute the sugars back into the brandy. Once this has happened, it just won't taste good and you may as well just dump it down the drain.

Oh!, one last thought here. As far as your Dairy based Liqueurs go(ie: Bailey's Irish Cream), once you've opened them, you should keep them refrigerated and try to consume them within about 30 days. I believe they're ok on your shelf, seal intact, for about 3 or 4 months. "

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
Originally posted by: Turin39789
google then wiki can -

Westmalle Triple is absolutely heavenly. Good choice for the picture in the article.:thumbsup:

You should see my beer run purchases from the other night. I bought $136 worth of mainly Belgian beers.

4-pack Duvel
4-pack Delerium Nocturnum
2, 750ml bottles of Westmalle Triple
4-pack St Bernardus Abt 12
6-pack Weyerbacher Merry Monks'
6-pack Stoudt's Triple
4-pack Pater Dubbel
4-pack Palo Santo Marron