Can one not go back to Win7/Win8 after 30 days of being on Win10?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I'm a little confused on the Microsoft official line of being able to revert back to Win7/Win8 after being on Win10.

I get that in the 30 days, if one so wishes, you can revert back to your previous Win7/Win8 install (providing of course one did an upgrade instead of a clean install of Win10). That part is clear.

What isn't clear to me is what happens at day, say, 35? If I want to go back to Win7/Win8, it sounds like the reversion option won't be present in Win10 - which I'm fine with. But I can still perform a clean install of Win7/Win8 and activate still with my Win7/Win8, right? Or will that key now not activate because I was running it when I upgraded to Win10?

Another question I have that is sort of no clear to me is: If I'm running Win7 right now, go to Win10 (first upgrade then do clean Win10 install), just to see how Win10 will run on this older machine, and then after like 1 day do a clean install of the Win7 I upgraded from, what happens in say 10 months when I want to upgrade that machine to Win10 this time permanently? Will I still be able to, or, did I need to remain on Win10 the first time for some period of time?

Sorry if these have been asked before, I looked some and couldn't find clear answers to them...

Chuck

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The stored recovery of Win 7 on the upgraded computer gets auto erased after 30 days, thus there is Nothing to recover any more.

:cool:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You can do a clean install of Win 7 if you'd like. Your key is still good.

edit: To answer your 2nd question, everything Ive read it once youve got a registered "copy" of Win10 with MS, you can go back to Win10 any time for free. Assuming you have no major hardware changes.

Last edited:

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Your best bet and what I am going to do prior to installing 10, that is when I make the jump, is copy/migrate my Win7 installation to a new drive, hot swap it with the original drive and install 10 to it.

This way if I don't like 10 I just hot swap drives back to my original Win7 installation drive, and have my Win7 up running in less than a minute or two like nothing happened.

Later if I want to go back to 10, just hot swap back.

Last edited:

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You can do a clean install of Win 7 if you'd like. Your key is still good.

edit: To answer your 2nd question, everything Ive read it once youve got a registered "copy" of Win10 with MS, you can go back to Win10 any time for free. Assuming you have no major hardware changes.

What about a new hard drive ?

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
hard drive change is fine. It is the motherboard primarily they are referring to for the major hardware as that changes the computer's ID.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Thanks All for the replies!

I'm tempted to install 10 to see how it goes on this older computer but since I know long term he's going to get a GTX 950, and this is onboard video, not sure what'll happen if I put 10 on now, and then later (months down the road) do a fresh install of 10 with the 950 installed. I wonder how 10 activation would like that...

Socio that is a good idea, I think I'll suggest/do that at the time he goes to 10...just in case...

Chuck