Can onboard sound card fail to deliver enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyajin

Mar 18, 2009
I want to ask you guys, are there any possibilities an onboard sound card can fail to deliver enough power, of what I would call normal desktop audio recording?

Right now I use program from some company called Movavi and it’s currently fail on my ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 board to deliver clean recording (small clicks can be heard) The support team told me recently the problem was likely caused to exact above situation. I began to put big question whether such thing could really exists, because any other freeware program I throw on my pc records my stuff with no problems, and it is obvious to me seem like a software bug of that particular application.

But what would you say? Have you ever heard of such phenomenon?

Edit: made a sound file on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/mfdk-1/300-hz-sound-test-asus-p6t

Last edited:

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Seems to me ASUS has had a Snd problem which you describe. If you check ASUS Forums the answer is there. I believe it can be temporarily alleviated by Disabling the Marvel or perhaps it was the Jmicron Sata in BIOS. Since then there are BIOS and Driver Up Dates to correct the IRQ conflict. So it all amounts to what BIOS and Driver combination you use in regards to what other Device is sharing or not sharing the IRQ with your On Board Snd.

I doubt On-Board Snd or Snd Cards puts out much more then 3 Watt's. I use all my Snd Cards as a Pre-AMP to a 1000 Watt Power AMP ;o)

I run a P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 and have not had problems with the On Board Snd where I heard others having issues with it but then I've never enabled the Marvel Sata.

With all the Devices these modern MB's have I can't believe there's enough IRQ's to go around even though Windows is suppose to handle it - LOL

I don't know if it's because I'm OLD 8 Bit School but I always Disable the Ports I don't use in BIOS and simply toggle it if I need the Device - It Free's up IRQ's for Conflicting Drivers.

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sure, Ive encountered such a problem with applications using the sound hardware.

In one case, clicking was eliminated when turning down the hardware acceleration for sound via the slider in the control panel (had to move it down two notches from max.). Didnt really like having to do that, but it worked well for the affected application.

Saiyajin

Mar 18, 2009
Seems to me ASUS has had a Snd problem which you describe. If you check ASUS Forums the answer is there. I believe it can be temporarily alleviated by Disabling the Marvel or perhaps it was the Jmicron Sata in BIOS. Since then there are BIOS and Driver Up Dates to correct the IRQ conflict. So it all amounts to what BIOS and Driver combination you use in regards to what other Device is sharing or not sharing the IRQ with your On Board Snd.

I doubt On-Board Snd or Snd Cards puts out much more then 3 Watt's. I use all my Snd Cards as a Pre-AMP to a 1000 Watt Power AMP ;o)

I run a P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 and have not had problems with the On Board Snd where I heard others having issues with it but then I've never enabled the Marvel Sata.

With all the Devices these modern MB's have I can't believe there's enough IRQ's to go around even though Windows is suppose to handle it - LOL

I don't know if it's because I'm OLD 8 Bit School but I always Disable the Ports I don't use in BIOS and simply toggle it if I need the Device - It Free's up IRQ's for Conflicting Drivers.

Interesting reading, I tried to dig that up on the asus forum, though I’m not been able finding any than what you said. I tried disabled the Marvell controller (in my case), it has yet not shown any difference.

Sure, Ive encountered such a problem with applications using the sound hardware.

In one case, clicking was eliminated when turning down the hardware acceleration for sound via the slider in the control panel (had to move it down two notches from max.). Didnt really like having to do that, but it worked well for the affected application.

As far I know, Win 7 doesn’t have a specific slider for audio, guess that depending on the card. I anyway tried lower the overall hardware acceleration and neither that helped, but I think I just found some strange way myself to deal with it.

If I take the EPU-6 Engine utility and set the system to medium or max power saving, then the poor recording mysterious goes away. As soon the system is set to performance mode or anything else, my recordings suffer from strange clicks. I’m now not even sure now where my problem lies.

Kyanzes

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Especially high impedance headphones (e.g., Sennheiser 580/6xx, Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro etc.) are not enjoyable when connected to on-board sound devices. Those just can't drive these headphones.

For low impedance they can be viable for very general use.

Status
Not open for further replies.