Can observing Catholics eat chicken stock on Fridays during Lent?

Jan 18, 2001
it is water flavored by boiling chicken bones and remnants. you can buy chicken stock at the store, just look for chicken BROTH. i don't know why they don't call it stock.

btw, if you want the most kick ass mash potatoes ever:

boil 3-5 pounds of peel potatoes til tender
add 1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup of milk

blend with a mixer and gradually add chicken stock until desired consistency.

:D

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
Originally posted by: DigitalDoctor
What is chicken broth?

put whole chicken in the pot, put various veggies in the pot.

let it simmer for a longass time. The juice the veggies and chicken produce is the chicken stock. (just the liquid)

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: JetsFanatic
chicken broth
Not entirely true. Most broths are made from cooking meat and/or vegetables in water. Stocks are made from bones and connective tissues of the animal cooked in water. Both may or may not include vegetables and herbs.

Most of the time they are used interchangably, but when you buy broth in cans, jars, etc, it is usually loaded with salt and sucks for making your own soups, etc.

I prefer to make my own stock with the carcasses of chickens or turkeys I have cooked and freezing it for later use. The gourmet store across the street from me also sells homemade stocks (chicken, beef, & veal) by the pint, but it's expensive.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
no one answered his question though..

And.. Im catholic and I dont know the answer.. I would assume NO because of the fact that it is made with the carcass of a chicken. But i just tend not to eat redmeats on fridays for lent.

Czesia

Nov 22, 2003
Can observing Catholics eat chicken stock on Fridays during Lent?

Yes. Catholics abstain from eating meat, not necessarily products whose preparation (ie. chicken stock) requires meat. Otherwise you probably could not eat things with lard or butter in them, since they are animal product as well.

**Edit: darn spelling...

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I really think you are missing the point. Don't fast just to follow rules that you don't even understand (if you don't understand them then you really aren't truely using 100% of your spirituality when you blindly follow rules). Instead, fast to follow your faith. Jesus fasted for 40 days to prepare for his ministry. Catholics fast during Lent to (1) help imitate the example of Jesus, (2) display common repentance, and (3) help you put aside your earthly passions and instead think of God and Jesus for a day. The 'rules' for Catholics vary from country to country and even vary over the years. Some Catholic regions avoid food altogether, some allow one meal per day, some avoid any meats, some avoid any non-seafood meat, some just avoid red meat, etc. So don't do anything just to follow arbitrary rules, instead do it for the three reasons I listed above. Would eating chicken stock prevent you from doing those three things? The answer will vary from person to person.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
i dunno, but every friday during lent, i make sure to go out and get a beefy handburger from a local greasy burger joint, and sit down somewhere near someone eating fish and enjoy my red meat treat.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Chicken stock is perfect for Catholics during Lent. It's perfectly okay as they refrain from actual meat, not meat-flavored substances. But it's close enough to meat that the most devout will feel a little guilty about it and being a good Catholic is all about the guilt.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: dullard
I really think you are missing the point. Don't fast just to follow rules that you don't even understand (if you don't understand them then you really aren't truely using 100% of your spirituality when you blindly follow rules). Instead, fast to follow your faith. Jesus fasted for 40 days to prepare for his ministry. Catholics fast during Lent to (1) help imitate the example of Jesus, (2) display common repentance, and (3) help you put aside your earthly passions and instead think of God and Jesus for a day. The 'rules' for Catholics vary from country to country and even vary over the years. Some Catholic regions avoid food altogether, some allow one meal per day, some avoid any meats, some avoid any non-seafood meat, some just avoid red meat, etc. So don't do anything just to follow arbitrary rules, instead do it for the three reasons I listed above. Would eating chicken stock prevent you from doing those three things? The answer will vary from person to person.

The rule is dont eat meat on fridays.

So I brought to work some potato and garlic soup.

But then I read the ingredients and saw that chicken stock was listed.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The answer to your question is "no". Take a look here. It specifically discusses soups/gravies and other products made or derived from from mammals or foul -- they are also forbidden during lent.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I don't see the point of making the "sacrifice" and then eating fish instead... I've eaten fish only for the past few days. Does that mean I get to go to heaven?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
I don't see the point of making the "sacrifice" and then eating fish instead... I've eaten fish only for the past few days. Does that mean I get to go to heaven?

Catholic priests molest little boys and think they're going to heaven. I don't think they're going to keep you out based on your lunch menu.