Can my pc run any game recording software?

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
I can't seem to find a game recording software that works with my pc. I want to be able to record smooth gameplay without any slowing down or lagging. I've tried Bandicam, FRAPS, OBS, CamStudio, Camtasia Studio. many more. None of them work. I mostly play older games and it would be nice for the software to have the in fps feature instead of just a screen capture.
PC specs:
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
4 gb ram
AMD Radeon HD 5450.
CPU 2.30 Ghz
Dell Inspirion 531.

If anyone knows a recording software out there suitable for my pc let me know.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i've used both fraps and obs and they both work; fraps is VERY heavy and obs is extremely difficult to set up properly, and looking at your PC specs, i imagine you are having both problems. what have you got, a athlon x2?
fraps used to gag with my E6600 @ 3.4Ghz;

as far as my limited knowledge, i dont think you can record decently on that system. limited i say, because i now own a Nvidia GPU and Shadowplay records whatever i want without even using the cpu, so who cares about recording software.

but really, you need to get some new hardware.

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
I know there is some software out there that is built for systems like mine.
I used to use Action! which was the only one that recorded everything smoothly without lag. the way I wanted, but I stopped using it because its glitchy.
1. Can't use the Games and applications recording mode because it won't detect older games or apparently games using Direct 3d, which doesn't make sense because the game uses DirectX 7, guess that's a difference. I don't know, its crazy.

2. The program won't even record "Active Screen" anymore.
Anytime I start it up, and hit the record button, it doesn't record; the HUD just flickers back off. No one on that Mirillis Action! forums wants to be of any help. So I turned here, but of course I'm gonna get people who think I'm in the position to buy something now.
I can't get new hardware right now, got to use what I got, and this is all I got.

Get more ram
this pc can't hold anymore ram than 4gb. You should know that.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
dude, you are running a computer that still uses ddr2 ram. it scores 1320 passmarks. a 4970k scores 11 thousand.

you need a new machine.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Inspiron 531 desktops are socket AM2. Probably a Brisbane X2 4400+ from the clockspeed. Those were released a decade ago, when Intel Core 2 effectively smashed everything AMD had to offer.

Forget recording software, you need a new machine.

BTW, don't plan on playing FFIX on that computer.

System Requirements

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or higher
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS or ATI Radeon HD4650 or higher
http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840/

The CPU barely cracks the requirement, and the 5450 definitely won't run it. When that card was released it was meant for home theater use, not gaming.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Yep a new(er) computer is the only way you are going to be able to do anything decent in this situation. If you can't get something brand new, check out the FS/FT forum.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Been a long time since I recorded anything, but even with a fairly decent pc, I remember performance would tank if you were recording to the same hdd you're playing the game from.

So you needed to be saving the recorded vid to a different hdd. Maybe a flash drive would work these days if you don't have one?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
More ram and arguably a better video card so you can offload some of the encode. OBS should run provided you can offload the encode. If not, then yeah, your machine is woefully out of date.

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
Those are all lies considering Action! recorder works perfect on this pc. I'm just gonna have to search around and find out how to fix that glitchy problem.

Been a long time since I recorded anything, but even with a fairly decent pc, I remember performance would tank if you were recording to the same hdd you're playing the game from.

So you needed to be saving the recorded vid to a different hdd. Maybe a flash drive would work these days if you don't have one?

I have an external drive for videos.

More ram and arguably a better video card so you can offload some of the encode. OBS should run provided you can offload the encode. If not, then yeah, your machine is woefully out of date.

I can't afford a new pc, dammit. That's why they make recorders for low-end pcs. And Action! is one of them.
I just thought someone else would know any other game recorders for low-end pc, but clearly that someone is not here.
None of you know anything about low-end pcs and how to deal with them.
Because if you did, you wouldn't be so quick to tell me to go buy a new pc.
I should've expected the people here would assume the members of this forum got money like that. Shit, was I wrong.

BTW, don't plan on playing FFIX on that computer.

I plan to play my FFIX to death on this pc. even if I have to set it on the lowest settings or whatever, I don't care. I would would still play it.
But then again, whenever it decides to be released, I might have a new pc by then.

Last edited:

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Those are all lies considering Action! recorder works perfect on this pc. I'm just gonna have to search around and find out how to fix that glitchy problem.

I really don't believe these people are lying to you.

Just about everyone on this forum knows how to deal with "low end PC's"; upgrade if it makes financial sense or buy a new computer.

If you don't want to take anybody's advice, why even ask?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

I can't afford a new pc, dammit. That's why they make recorders for low-end pcs. And Action! is one of them.
I just thought someone else would know any other game recorders for low-end pc, but clearly that someone is not here.
Because if you did, you wouldn't be so quick to tell me to go buy a new pc.
I should've expected the people here would assume the members of this forum got money like that. Shit, was I wrong.

I plan to play my FFIX to death on this pc. even if I have to set it on the lowest settings or whatever, I don't care. I would would still play it.
But then again, whenever it decides to be released, I might have a new pc by then.

Excuse me for you being woefully wrong. Come to a tech forum, expect to be schooled.

If you haven't figured out why the general course of replies, let me clue you in: All recording software is going to do the exact same thing.

The motherboard in that box can handle at least 8GB of memory. Sure, it's DDR2, so good luck finding it (though ebay should be a good source).

I also pointed out that a newer video card would likely help due to the ability to offload video encode to the video card's built-in encoder which is present on newer cards. Did I once say you need to go out and buy a GTX980? No. I simply said "newer", as in something of a newer generation that actually has built in x264 encode capabilities even at the lower end of the spectrum. Hell, you could probably even "upgrade" your video card right here on the FS/FT forum to something a bit faster with the aforementioned encode capabilities for something not terribly expensive even by your standards and even get a better play experience out of FFIX while actually being able to record whatever it is you want to record.

But then again, what do I know. I'm apparently a rich elitist with the best PC specs that upgrades at the drop of a hat just because and don't have a god damn clue what I'm talking about especially when it comes to PC gaming on shoestring budgets. :rolleyes:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
This whole thread seems like a troll by OP.

I mean, "you should know that."

Aug 11, 2008

This. That video card is weaker than a lot of current integrated graphics. But really you need a new system.

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
Excuse me for you being woefully wrong. Come to a tech forum, expect to be schooled.

If you haven't figured out why the general course of replies, let me clue you in: All recording software is going to do the exact same thing.

The motherboard in that box can handle at least 8GB of memory. Sure, it's DDR2, so good luck finding it (though ebay should be a good source).

I also pointed out that a newer video card would likely help due to the ability to offload video encode to the video card's built-in encoder which is present on newer cards. Did I once say you need to go out and buy a GTX980? No. I simply said "newer", as in something of a newer generation that actually has built in x264 encode capabilities even at the lower end of the spectrum. Hell, you could probably even "upgrade" your video card right here on the FS/FT forum to something a bit faster with the aforementioned encode capabilities for something not terribly expensive even by your standards and even get a better play experience out of FFIX while actually being able to record whatever it is you want to record.

But then again, what do I know. I'm apparently a rich elitist with the best PC specs that upgrades at the drop of a hat just because and don't have a god damn clue what I'm talking about especially when it comes to PC gaming on shoestring budgets. :rolleyes:

I don't need your nerd talk, bitch.

Yes, what a waste of time asking the knuckle heads on this forum.

I didn't start this thread to be hassled into buying anything, just wanted to know if there any other low-end game recorders that I haven't tried, but like I said, pointless to ask a question here.

I never liked forums like these. So of course its my fault for asking in the first place, I won't do the redactedanymore guaranteed.

Personal attacks are not allowed. Nor is profanity.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

quina123

Sep 30, 2015
This whole thread seems like a troll by OP.

I mean, "you should know that."

That's the lowest thing would could call a person. A "troll".

Whenever I see that, I know you spend much of your time on online forums. Time to take break, get some fresh air. And some more.

Anyways, this thread is done.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
dude, you are running a computer that still uses ddr2 ram. it scores 1320 passmarks. a 4970k scores 11 thousand.

you need a new machine.

This. Sorry OP, time to deal with reality. Your PC is simply too slow and limited. (Consider using a video card with TV-out, and use a... VCR... to record gameplay?)

Edit: The AMD/ATI HD4850, and the NVidia GT8800GT/9800GT/9600GSO are the last cards that I know of, with an integrated composite video TV-out port.

Last edited:

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
OP doesn't need any computer advice, just a chill pill, ground up, mixed with tequila and injected directly into his brain.

Not a personal attack, think I'll have one myself...

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
SunnyD
Belgian Waffler

quina123

"bitch"

quina, you clearly are on the wrong forum. i suggest either linustechtips or tomshardware but AT is not for you.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
dude, you are running a computer that still uses ddr2 ram. it scores 1320 passmarks.

Dude, I can guarantee you that that computer would score a minimum of 1322, if not even 1323 in Passmark, with that 5450 in it.;)

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
That's the lowest thing would could call a person. A "troll".

Whenever I see that, I know you spend much of your time on online forums. Time to take break, get some fresh air. And some more.

Anyways, this thread is done.

Hardly the lowest, not by a long-shot.

Just the most appropriate. You should know that.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
OP, get a cheap camcorder, or your cell phone, engage "recording mode" and aim it at your monitor during gameplay. Very limited CPU impact this way, perhaps only a few FPS.