Can my machine take advantage of an AGP 3850?

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
Your machine will massively benefit from the 3850. DDR2 isn't much faster than DDR400 and the AGP 3850 performs nearly as fast as the PCI-E version. Drivers can be a little dodgy at the moment, but with new and cheaper CPUs just around the corner I say go for it.

I have one and I'm running a single core A64 2.4Ghz with only 1GB ram. The difference coming from an x800 was staggering, as it's so much more efficient at shading tasks with its stream processors.

Your dual core and 2GB is made for this card. In fact, it would be an ideal "one last" upgrade before building a new PCI-e PC. With that spec and the 3850, you can play all the latest games smoothly no problem.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
honestly, build a new machine... upgrade your CPU, get 4GB of DDR2 ram, and a 9800GT at least, or 4850 if you willing to spend more, or 4870 for even more... etc...

Also, how can you say he will massively benefit from it without knowing what current video card he has?

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: taltamir
honestly, build a new machine... upgrade your CPU, get 4GB of DDR2 ram, and a 9800GT at least, or 4850 if you willing to spend more, or 4870 for even more... etc...

Also, how can you say he will massively benefit from it without knowing what current video card he has?

Building a new machine, especially to get rid of the ancient AGP and at current cheap prices, is always a good option.

However, Tri cores are rocketing down in price soon and the new Intel CPUs are just around the corner. I'd be tempted to buy the AGP 3850, which will run Crysis fine on that machine, to tied me over until next year. It will always have a good resale value too.

All depends on when you want to build and how much spare cash you have.

wizzack

Oct 1, 2006
Recently bought some cheap upgrades for my machine.

Currently have:
MSI k8n neo2 plat
Mushkin Redline 2x512mb
s939 3200+ Venice
9800 Pro modded to XT

Upgrading to:
MSI k8n neo2 plat - current mobo
Corsair ddr400 2x1gb value - $25 after MIR
s939 4800+ x2 - $55
HD 3850? - $115

So it's a pretty cheap upgrade for me to last for awhile. Can also work as a HTPC after I finally move to PCI-E.

Just wasn't sure if it was worth getting the 3850 as my last card if my hardware would never really use its full potential. Was thinking of getting the 2600xt since I do plan on using this later with a large screen for media purposes.

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
You weren't far off building a new system anyway after replacing your CPU and RAM! Perhaps you could have gone with PCI-E rather than upgrade your neo2 so extensively.

Your hardware will definitely use that card to its potential. Plus it should have great hardware decoding and encoding of HD content through AVIVO if you want to use it as a HTPC later. The 2600XT is much slower, has some driver issues apparently, but requires less power and probably runs cooler.

If your PSU is up to it (worth researching on the internet first), get the HD3850. It does require a lot of power; about the same as a 1950pro. Its fan is thermally controlled and the card throttles down to lower speeds in 2D mode.

People seem to be having the best luck (ie least issues) with the Sapphire model.

wizzack

Oct 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Deanodarlo
You weren't far off building a new system anyway after replacing your CPU and RAM! Perhaps you could have gone with PCI-E rather than upgrade your neo2 so extensively.

Your hardware will definitely use that card to its potential. Plus it should have great hardware decoding and encoding of HD content through AVIVO if you want to use it as a HTPC later. The 2600XT is much slower, has some driver issues apparently, but requires less power and probably runs cooler.

If your PSU is up to it (worth researching on the internet first), get the HD3850. It does require a lot of power; about the same as a 1950pro. Its fan is thermally controlled and the card throttles down to lower speeds in 2D mode.

People seem to be having the best luck (ie least issues) with the Sapphire model.

I wasn't planning on spending much for the vid card though since WoW is the extent of my gaming. That's why I'm really hesitant to take the plunge. Have to think about it now that I know it'll make that much of a difference.

Was planning on just getting a used AGP in the FS/FT section. Thanks for all the input Deanodarlo!

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
It all depends on what you want to do. Looking at the cheaper options:

You could get a 1950pro for about half the price of a 3850 these days and that is a fast card - faster than the 2600XT and full 256bit memory. Has some mature drivers for games too. Again though, you'll have to be sure your PSU is up to it.

The 2600XT has hardware decoding of HD content I think? Perhaps some Vista DX10.1 features although it may not be fast enough to make good use of them. Not sure - you'd have to compare them on the internet!

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
Oh yes, forgot to add - if you play older games, then check 3850/2600 compatibility. New gen cards may not play older games as well as say the 1950pro. Worth checking out, especially WoW.

I don't think WoW is very demanding to be honest and if you are not going to be playing shader intensive games like that, the 3850 is overkill. Just go with you original plan and get a cheaper card.

An x800pro and higher will run WoW very well and second hand should be going cheap.

Apr 20, 2008
I just picked up the HD3850. Although it's pci-e I've noticed a huge jump from my 8600GT and a little bump at my native resolution over my 8800GTS 320.

Keep in mind, this was with a slower 939 processor.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Get the HD 3850. Your system is capable of taking the max advantage of it. Go for it.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: taltamir

Why should he, if he's happy with what he has? I have something similar, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I think the 3850 is the perfect upgrade for that machine. The Neo2 Plat and the 4800+ are an excellent, super stable combo. You can get a couple years of productive life out of that still. I know my 4800+ ain't going anywhere and I might in fact buy a new video card for it - there are so many good single-slot options these days. Possibly a NVidia 9600GT, so I can stay with my current drivers - that makes for a really easy upgrade. It's still my main working machine. The Intel box is my Hi-Def toy. (Heh heh.)

Dude, re building a new system, that is so totally not true. He spent $80 for the RAM/CPU combo! I recall I spent $220 for my 4800+ about two years ago and thought THAT was a steal. I think for what he spent that's a no-brainer. You are definitely right though about the power supply. And AVIVO is awesome and you don't have to pay extra for it like you do with NVidia's PureVideo piece of crud. (Maybe they've fixed it since I experimented with it.)

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
Dude, re building a new system, that is so totally not true. He spent $80 for the RAM/CPU combo! I recall I spent $220 for my 4800+ about two years ago and thought THAT was a steal. I think for what he spent that's a no-brainer. You are definitely right though about the power supply. And AVIVO is awesome and you don't have to pay extra for it like you do with NVidia's PureVideo piece of crud. (Maybe they've fixed it since I experimented with it.)

I didn't say it was a bad choice, in fact from the off I supported buying the 3850 for that system as it's a great card. Although once I read he only plays WoW and was coming from a 9800XT, I think he's better off going with his original decision of a cheaper card to go along with the rest of his cheaper upgrades! The 3850 might be overkill unless he wants to play shader intensive games, then it's a no-brainer. Of course if he wants to use it for HD content in the future then a HD card is a good option.

I just thought that buying a new CPU, ram and video card is over halfway towards a new build! Especially since AGP cards are more expensive in comparision to PCI-E ones and have worse driver support.

Still that's a great system you've got there wizzack and I'm sure it will serve you well. :)

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Hi all...
The fact that he has managed to get a dual core cpu for s939 does it for me. While this is not a top of the line CPU, it still meets a definition of a "modern" processor.
This system should last for at least a year. And when the OP will decide to finally move to the PCI-E setup, I am sure that he will be able to sell his video card for a good price and recoup most of the money for it.

wizzack

Oct 1, 2006

I just thought that buying a new CPU, ram and video card is over halfway towards a new build! Especially since AGP cards are more expensive in comparision to PCI-E ones and have worse driver support.

You're right, and I considered building a new comp but it'd take around $500+ for me to get what i want (new PSU, CPU, mobo, vid card, memory) vs. my $125 budget upgrade.

Not even sure when I'd really need to upgrade to PCI-E unless I really start gaming again, which is highly unlikely.

Originally posted by: adlep
Hi all...
The fact that he has managed to get a dual core cpu for s939 does it for me. While this is not a top of the line CPU, it still meets a definition of a "modern" processor.
This system should last for at least a year. And when the OP will decide to finally move to the PCI-E setup, I am sure that he will be able to sell his video card for a good price and recoup most of the money for it.

I'm likely going to keep this machine for a HTPC so the 3850 might be perfect for the last upgrade on this machine. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback!