Can my laptop run oblivion?

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
Ok so I have been having a lot of problems debating weather I can run this game on my laptop or not! I have looked at the Can you run it by system requirements lab, and it said i passed everything except the OS. So... does oblivion have a problem with windows 7 64bit or not? (home premium)

My Specs:

[FONT=arial black,avant garde]Dell Inspiron 15[/FONT]

• 320GB SATA hardrive
  • 4GB RAM
  • [FONT=impact,chicago]AMD AthlonTMX2 Dual-Core Proccessor[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial black,avant garde]512MB2ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330[/FONT]
  • Windows 7 64bit
I would like to play on at least Medium graphics settings. If you need any more info let me know... I heard you guys were the best, thank you for looking! :D

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Of course that system will be able to play it. You could play it with lesser specs.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Really?! Are you positive even with the crappy graphics card, and windows 7?():)

Windows 7 isn't a problem at all. Any drivers that work with Vista work with Windows 7. Even though that video card is old it can still run it. You might not be able to run it with super high everything but it'll run.

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
Windows 7 isn't a problem at all. Any drivers that work with Vista work with Windows 7. Even though that video card is old it can still run it. You might not be able to run it with super high everything but it'll run.
Excellent! I am going to order my copy on ebay.com! I found a collector's edition for only $20 free shipping! Hopefully I can finally play something besides Diablo II and Battlefield 2.

icyroy05

Feb 22, 2005
It will run, but not great. On my laptop it runs at medium settings, but is around 30fps and dips even while in doors.

Seeing as your card is a lower model it probably won't run as well.

Specs for the laptop are:
AMD RM75 Turion
ATI HD4570
4GB of RAM

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
you can get oblivion on steam for 20 for the collectors or 25 for collectors and all the DLC.

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
It will run, but not great. On my laptop it runs at medium settings, but is around 30fps and dips even while in doors.

Seeing as your card is a lower model it probably won't run as well.

Specs for the laptop are:
AMD RM75 Turion
ATI HD4570
4GB of RAM
Darn, can i run on med settings?

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006

Probably not as well. However, just play it on a lower resolution and definitely turn off the game. I remember playing Oblivion on my Radeon 8500 with the Oldblivion mod back in the day, it ran at around 30 FPS but it was still very enjoyable!

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
Probably not as well. However, just play it on a lower resolution and definitely turn off the game. I remember playing Oblivion on my Radeon 8500 with the Oldblivion mod back in the day, it ran at around 30 FPS but it was still very enjoyable!
maybe i should just get morrowind?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I think you can play on medium. It's not a FPS so who cares if the frame rate dips from time to time. I guess it depends on your tolerance.

icyroy05

Feb 22, 2005

It ran really smooth though. I actually didn't realize it was that low until I turned on the FPS meter through the dev console.

It should be playable though with a lower resolution.

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
I think I will give oblivion a try... its only $20 right wat could I loose. Do I need all the expansions or will that make it even more slower?

The collector's edition I saw on eBay said it came with both expansions... but I could get like $5 off if I can't even use the expansions right.

icyroy05

Feb 22, 2005
I think I will give oblivion a try... its only $20 right wat could I loose. Do I need all the expansions or will that make it even more slower?

The collector's edition I saw on eBay said it came with both expansions... but I could get like $5 off if I can't even use the expansions right.

The expansions shouldn't make it slower. If they do, I've never noticed.

icyroy05

Feb 22, 2005
Your computer is probally much faster then mine... :hmm:

I could try them on my laptop real quick and see if there is any hit.

Can only find my Shivering Isles disc. But, so far there seems to be no FPS hit.

With the game set to medium and no interior or exterior shadows, my FPS went from 20 to 60 depending on the interior area, the average frame rate was around 40. While outside I got around 30 to 50 FPS, with the average frame rate being 35 to 40.

Other than a tiny bit of stuttering it felt very playable. Keep in mind that you will get lower FPS, but at no point, even with rates in the 20s did it feel unplayable.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
I could try them on my laptop real quick and see if there is any hit.

Can only find my Shivering Isles disc. But, so far there seems to be no FPS hit.

With the game set to medium and no interior or exterior shadows, my FPS went from 20 to 60 depending on the interior area, the average frame rate was around 40. While outside I got around 30 to 50 FPS, with the average frame rate being 35 to 40.

Other than a tiny bit of stuttering it felt very playable. Keep in mind that you will get lower FPS, but at no point, even with rates in the 20s did it feel unplayable.

Hope that helps.
I am kind of a noob at PC gaming.. what is FPS? I play battlefield 2, and let me tell you it is a pretty demanding game! (Any games I mention I play on my laptop) I also play Guild Wars and my ping on it is 60 FPS.

Although when I tried the oh great World of Warcraft trial, I was only getting on average 20-35 FPS. And these calculations are all with all other windows closed, and the game being the only program running.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
FPS = frames per second. Its a general indication of how much stuttering or slowdown you can expect while playing a game. Anything below 30 is usually considered degraded/unplayable, though tolerance levels vary by person and by game.

inspiron

Feb 6, 2010
FPS = frames per second. Its a general indication of how much stuttering or slowdown you can expect while playing a game. Anything below 30 is usually considered degraded/unplayable, though tolerance levels vary by person and by game.
weird... games really do make a difference. On Guild Wars I usually have 60FPS and it lags a little, then I played WoW and I had 25FPS and no lag.