Can Mom's pick out their newborn baby from a line up?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The mother just gave birth to a 6lb baby. everything went ok. the next day she and the baby were discharged. 5 days later, she had to return to admit the baby back in the hospital for whatever reason.

If you dress all the newborns alike in a baby ward, will the mom be able to pick hers out? (she's allowed to go in and look in each crib, but not touch/hold.)

Why/Why not?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Sure. She could just look at the bracelet with the kid's name on it. :p

Edit: Really, I think a mother would spend enough time looking at their baby in the first few days to recognize it. But I don't really know how similar newborn babies look.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
If she had previously seen the baby for more than 10 minutes, yes.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Right away? Not a chance, but after spending a few days with the child, that's a bit different.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Yes, I could pick my son out easily after only a few days...and I'm the Father!

Hmmmm...somehow that didn't sound very convincing....

:p

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: compnovice

Well, he does look a bit like the mailman...I'm sure it's just a coincidence though. ;)

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: compnovice

Well, he does look a bit like the mailman...I'm sure it's just a coincidence though. ;)

Your gardener thinks otherwise. :p ;)

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
You know, before my daughter was born, I thought all newborns looked alike. After - there's no doubt in my mind that I could have picked her out almost immedietely.

I'm sure this is a setup and the OP will respond with a study saying otherwise.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
while still in the hospital with all the other newborns? no.

but of course after a week or so i would think most could.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
i saw my daughter born, i went to the nursery with her.. there's no way i could mistake her from any other baby... besides, when your baby is born, especially from the father's standpoint since we dont' need to recover, it's incredibly hard to take your eyes off your newborn..

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: habib89
i saw my daughter born, i went to the nursery with her.. there's no way i could mistake her from any other baby... besides, when your baby is born, especially from the father's standpoint since we dont' need to recover, it's incredibly hard to take your eyes off your newborn..

Hell, I had digital pictures going out to all my friends within the hour. :D

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
My daughter was born in Taiwan. They didn't allow me in the delivery room. When the burse came out with our baby, she showed me that I had a girl and she showed me the ankle bracelet with my wife's name and info.

They take the baby away to a nursery and keep them in cradles with the mother's name, birthday, weight, and gender. They open the curtains to the nursery three times a day for an hour for viewing. You can take the baby to your room if you'd like, but they're very cautious about checking the baby out.

After closing the curtain, they have a camera set up to show each baby over the hospital's closed circuit TV system. I imagine that this is for the mother's who can't get up to go look at the babies through the window.

Although it was obvious that some of the babies on the TV were not ours, with others it was very hard to tell. After a few days, though, our daughter became less smushed up and teh facial similarities became pretty clear...