Can Mac iPod be flashed to PC iPod?

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Just wondering since I have a Mac ipod. Is it any different other than the software? Thanks

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think there's any difference except for the new software that intergrates with Musicmatch. (The pro version)

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Mac used to use non-standard RAM, but I'm not sure about the rest of the hardware. I don't know how well a G4 CPU will hold against AMD and Intel though...even though they're not comparable on a clock vs. clock scale, I'm guessing they would lag far behind seeing as the fastest g4 cpu is over a Ghz behind AMD and Intels.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152
Mac used to use non-standard RAM, but I'm not sure about the rest of the hardware. I don't know how well a G4 CPU will hold against AMD and Intel though...even though they're not comparable on a clock vs. clock scale, I'm guessing they would lag far behind seeing as the fastest g4 cpu is over a Ghz behind AMD and Intels.

Hello, clue phone. ;)

The question isn't AMD/Intel vs. Mac, but whether an iPod can be flashed between Mac version and PC version.

Answer: I don't think there's a difference in the two iPods.

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Zugzwang152

LOL! Clueless often?

He's asking about the MP3 player, not the computers.

stevewm

Dec 6, 2001
It might be possible.

Currently the only known difference between the two is what filesystem the hardrive is formatted as.

Mac iPod is formatted in HFS+, PC version is formatted in FAT32 so PCs can read it without a HFS+ driver.