can landlords discriminate based on gender?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
so I'm searching the internet for apartments tonight, and I found the perfect place, until I got to the end of the ad, where it said "females only." (bear in mind, the ad was for an 1-bedroom apartment, not a room for rent or anything along those lines)

not that I'd sue to get into an apartment or anything, it just made me a sad panda :(

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
I do not beleive so. Usually when the newspaper gets that, they tell the person that is listing the ad it is discrimination and suggest alternatives.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
If I was renting out an apartment and had hidden cameras set up, I'd be damn sure to get a female.

Jun 27, 2005
If it's a room in a private residence... or if it is an owner with fewer than four units to rent (federal - state laws may be more restrictive)... they can discriminate all they want.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It might be a pr0n haven in the macking, but the girls don't know it yet. :shocked:

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
It might be a pr0n haven in the macking, but the girls don't know it yet. :shocked:

"Just ignore that funny spot in the bathroom mirror..."

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
If it's a room in a private residence... or if it is an owner with fewer than four units to rent (federal - state laws may be more restrictive)... they can discriminate all they want.

The four units or less only allows them to discriminate it does not allow them to have advertisements stating that they discriminate.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: smack Down

The four units or less only allows them to discriminate it does not allow them to have advertisements stating that they discriminate.

So... if they are going to turn down every male that calls... why can't they list the ad that way?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down

Says what?

If they are not honest with their ad, then bait and switch could be pulled into place.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
My landlord used to advertise that only certain dog breeds were allowed. Apparently someone managed to cause legal trouble about that even. He mentioned he had to change it to no dogs at all after that, because his insurance wouldn't allow pits and whatnot.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ppdes
My landlord used to advertise that only certain dog breeds were allowed. Apparently someone managed to cause legal trouble about that even. He mentioned he had to change it to no dogs at all after that, because his insurance wouldn't allow pits and whatnot.

If you're not allowed to discriminate based on the breed of dog, then how are they allowed to say "no dogs" but allow cats?

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
You should be as nice and open in your ads as possible - as people call, just tell all the guys the place has been taken. You'll get more female callers that way b/c many will be afraid that the female-only stipulation. My mom has 9 rental houses and in a couple she'll only rent to females b/c they typical have less wear and tear on everything but the bathroom.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

That's a lot of law in that....

What Housing Is Covered?

The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
He probably just doesn't want a bunch of college aged guys barfing all over the carpets and smashing the place all up when they get drunk.