Can it actually damage your iPod if you unplug it from the computer when it says "Do Not Disconnect"?

spangenberg

Apr 19, 2005
Can it actually damage your iPod if you unplug it from the computer when it says "Do Not Disconnect"?

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
If anything it'll damage the data but not the ipod itself. There is only risk if you're still transferring data.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
no.

If you have it set to disk mode it enables write Back Caching IIRC and some data might not get forcibly written to it and stay in the cache..it...device freaks out.
Worse case scenario is a corrupt file system but physically it should be fine, no?

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The only time I could see a problem would be if you were using iTunes to update the song listing on the iPod and you unplugged it before finished. That could maybe cause a corrupted iPod.

The iPod is just a USB device which are hot swapable devices. There should be no problem just unplugging it assuming nothing is being written to the iPod at the time.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
Doesn't hurt it at all... all it does is corrupts the data that you're transferring... however the iPod is usually smart enough to discard partial transfers of data and remove them from the song or data database.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
I do it all the time, i just make sure everything is done transfering and itunes is closed