Question Can image burn happen in LED displays?

swapjim

Nov 16, 2015
I have a Dell U2520D LED QHD IPS 210-AVBF which I use for work (from home) and fun. It's very usual that I'll have the exact same apps open on the display for 8 maybe 10 hours straight. I've noticed that when I finish work and switch desktops there is some ghosting that goes away after a few hours.

Is there any chance this can get permanent? And is there anything I can do to prevent any permanent burn in?

swapjim

Nov 16, 2015
So a permanent burn in can happen on this display, which is a LED one, right?

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
On true LCD displays, burn-in should not be possible. There can be ghosting and image retention, but that can be resolved via running video specifically designed to remove that for a few hours. Individual pixels can start to wear prematurely compared to other pixels, but this is pretty unheard of on modern LCD's (i.e. stuff made in the last 20 years).

Reactions: swapjim

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You can have stuck pixels on a LED, and you can have a back screen wash on a IPS, which takes time to resolve.

I remember my LG which was a IPS would have a ghost wash if I had a white window and it would ghost on the screen for a bit before it disappeared on a black background.

But to answer your question, the ghosting is normal on a IPS. Its doesn't happen much on a Nano-IPS tho or a Mini-Led / VA panel.

GotNoRice

Aug 14, 2000
My last monitor was a Samsung C32HG70, a 32" 1440P 144Hz VA panel.

I got it back in 2018 or so, so I had already used it with Windows 10 for 2-3 years before I upgraded to Windows 11. Since Windows 11 moved the Start Menu to the center, I noticed that the old Windows 10 Start Menu icon was burned in to the bottom left.

Here are two pictures with different backgrounds. In the first picture, I provided an example of the Windows 10 Start Menu icon for comparison. I know it's faint. It's a lot easier to notice it when looking at it directly instead of the picture. But you can clearly notice the dark square and the windows logo in the middle.

I've been running Windows 11 for 2+ years now and that burn-in never went away.

Compare1.jpg

Example2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski