Can I....

mrkodiak

May 13, 2000
...use my debit card as a credit card for online purchases? My dad made purchases from some shaddy woodworking place and some weird charges came up on his card. He thinks it was stolen online which seems unlikely but now refuses to buy anything online :( So...now I have my wonderful MC Shazam Debit card and dont see why it wouldn't work.
Kodaik

slipperyslope

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
It will work just fine.....I have been using my Visa Check card online for 3 years without a problem and have even had charges removed.

Jim

Makanani

Jan 31, 2000
Yeah it should work. Although a few of my friends have noted that a few type of debit cards might not work online for some reason. I use them occassionally when i actually want to use the money i have right now instead of spending my virtual money that will just accrue interest. haha

mrkodiak

May 13, 2000
Argg...<<must remember the search function>>
It does seem a little risky but Ill might do it with only very good vendors. Maybe I could with draw x amount of money before I buy something so that I only have a little more than I need to purchase and then deposit the amount I took out when I get the item- a real pain but might be worth it.
Thanks Kodiak

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
I have been using my Visa debitcard online for awhile, and only had problems with one company, of course it was Staples. But otherwise, it works good. And my bank takes care of any problems for me.

mrkodiak

May 13, 2000
Thanks for the replies...Ill check with my bank to see how much protection I will get.
Kodiak

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
One thing to check for is that different banks impose different daily limits on debit cards. I've seen it as low as $400 and as high as $2000. It may not be an issue for you, but I've had to deal with it numerous times.